Airport Diagrams - Additions and Updates

8/19/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

37K Falconhead - Burneyville, Oklahoma - US

y4mimv-fCeRbTcIp6uNNLsMft6Hs6wOuW4FH3aPw

GLMR Spriggs Payne - Monrovia, Liberia

y4mHuEY6tybBdjGfLO5kkjtb19wWcyZ9gwX7hgex

Updated:

EGXG Church Fenton AB - Church Fenton, UK (updated)

y4mQt64XzWtZyMwKwoy618RTXyOvJfvK7izv88Oq

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,348; downloads 1,779

This being an update day, I have two new and one re-do for you. In addition I had one more of Rob's airports to do, so four on my plate today, but only three are here. If you haven't visited the Mutley's Hangar File Library and had a look at what Rob's been up to you might consider it. He's basically making some modest changes to runway-only airports in FSX and giving them some additional visual interest and functionality. They're very easy to install - just unzip and copy the bgl file(s) (some have two) to the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder in FSX. That's all there is to it. There's a screenshot and an airport diagram showing the updated field bundled in the zip file.

Getting to the new ones today, we begin with 37K, Falconhead, in Burneyville, Oklahoma. It's a single 4,400' asphalt strip with very generous run-up pads at both ends and a single taxiway stub to a small ramp roughly it the strip midpoint with one stock building. It's uncontrolled, unlighted, has no fuel pump and no published approaches, however there are navaids within a 20 NM radius.

The second one up, also a new one, is Spriggs Payne Airport in Monrovia, Liberia, in west Africa. The lone runway is just over 6,000 feet long and about a hundred feet wide. This one does have a control tower and a few buildings around a fairly good sized ramp more or less at mid-field. There is only a tower frequency listed and there are no published approaches. An NDB lies just over 3 NM to the NE (off the approach end of Runway 23) but is the only Navaid within a 20 NM radius.

The updated air port today is Church Fenton AB (EGXG) in the town of the same name in the UK. This is quite a radical upgrade, since the old version almost certainly came from an FS9 image. It had only two crossing runways and nothing else. The FSX version has taxiways and a miniscule ramp with a fuel pump and one building, plus a control tower.

There are Navaids nearby and an ILS listed for runway 24 but no published approaches in the FSX database. Again, this being a military field, it may be that instrument approaches are not listed.

I did smile at the Identifier for a DME station that's about 13 miles away to the north - LOO - that word has a certain meaning in the UK, as I understand it. I wonder if the bureaucrat who assigns Navaid IDs had and axe to grind with the place. I'll bet there's a story there.

John

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

8/20/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KCMH Port Columbus Intl - Columbus, Ohio - US

y4mBGbxjX2rkfYgZ1nTDQ5MoiexLGj3BjSt_XDIO

y4m-sXnZV1IAUXWPtKJ81DQKA0_DpV2fNkJB_EQ7

y4m43LS3gTsZMiuTnfxeCkvj4amohtqyb_l8LjXw

LFVM Miquelon - Miquelon I, Saint Pierre and Miquelon

y4muOREzLcgok5gXjl4Tw4peGsQRKRRI5B3O97lB

KATS Artesia Mun - Artesia, New Mexico - US

y4mAMcsd2eSCw3xD3_j8ZciE3XHQkY_eZvv2xY-c

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,351; downloads 1,784

First up in today's batch is Artesia Municipal Airport (KATS) in Artesia, New Mexico. It's a medium sized two-runway airport, un-towered, but lighted and with good facilities. It's a little light in the Navaids department, with an NDB on the field but nothing else within 20 NM. Nonetheless, it has five published non-precision approaches. The longest runway looks pretty generous at over 6,300 feet long, but the airport elevation is over 3,500 feet, so lots of pavement is probably a very nice thing to have there.

If, like me, when you saw the ICAO for Miquelon (LFVM) you probably thought it was just another French Airport. I soon got a geography lesson about a small archipelago of islands hard against the Canadian east coast but which are a territory of France. This is St. Pierre and Miquelon, which Wiki says is almost 2,400 miles from France and only 12 from Newfoundland. The territory consists of eight islands, of which only two are inhabited, and the total land area is less than 100 square miles.

There are only two airports in the territory and this is the lesser of the two. LFVM features a single runway just a bit shy of 3,300 feet X only 65' wide. It's non-towered but is lighted, with approach and center frequencies available. There are three non-precision approaches listed in FSX and there's an NDB on the field. There's a small mid-field ramp with one building but no MS fuel pump here.

The most interesting of today's airports today by far, at least for me, is Port Columbus (KCMH) in Columbus, Ohio, which came from the state capitals list.

In my working life I was in and out of there frequently. My employer was headquartered in Columbus, and though I worked elsewhere, I travelled there quite often, both on commercial flights and in a Cessna piston-twin charter. I took that charter flight once a month for several years and enjoyed it very much, except one morning over northern Indiana when one engine stopped in mid-flight. It happened at altitude in clear WX and the aircrew handled it well. They had the emergency checklists out in about five seconds, got it feathered and flew on to Columbus, passing more than a dozen smaller airports along the way. They landed on the 10,236 foot Runway 28L as if they did it every day and that long runway is probably one reason they elected to continue there. The approach was flown at a pretty high airspeed compared to normal. They crossed the threshold, going like the proverbial bat-out-of-hell - it felt like a buzz-job at first. Once over the runway they just held it off and flew the speed off it until it settled in with plenty of pavement left ahead of them. Keeping the speed up was probably in case a go-around was needed - all the seats were full and we were certainly pretty heavy. I don't remember what they did with the flaps - I wish I'd paid more attention to that. I was impressed, and damned glad it wasn't an ugly WX day.

KCMH has two parallel runways, one each at about 10,200 and 8,000 feet long. It's a reasonably busy air carrier airport with a lot of business traffic and some light GA too. I note in FSX that the little diagonally oriented GA runway that I remember is only a wide taxiway now - no longer a runway. The FBO we used had a BD-5 Micro Jet hanging upside down in the ceiling of the lobby and a very popular popcorn machine. Neither of those things seem to be modeled in FSX.

Port Columbus has a full suite of ILSs to both ends of both runways, good Navaids and many published approaches. One FSX oddity is the LOM for runway 10L. There are two NDBs, placed one exactly atop the other at the Outer Marker. They both have the same frequency, 272 KHz, but have separate IDs, CB and CHC. They are so closely located that the ID data in the map view is undecipherable, but I managed to get it by bringing them up in the details view individually.

John

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

8/21/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

DRRN Diori Hamani - Niamey, Niger

y4mq_9stxoSR79f5W1PsNMZnRUOtmMTwHVIhdTcQ

KBOI Boise Air Terminal/Gowen - Boise, Idaho - US

y4mnF34mduu55XMnYWZIytKjS2lXbkW6eQfpJj4T

y4mKrKU6JUcXMeJ-Kf3J02F_vt9MQ4yv_8A9JMaL

y4mJtQVaZbc1xaoBZo9KEWDgyGFL8rTdJdR3PLRc

Updated:

KFAF Felker AAF - Ft Eustis, Virginia - US (updated)

y4mwpiumCqyOQz3WwQur5u_XW1xqLbH0Kj7xs1iW

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,353; downloads 1,784

I forgot to mention in yesterday's communication that we now have over 1,350 airports documented here, including many for which there just isn't any other concise source, i.e. small airports, many foreign airports, etc. In addition these contain information taken directly from FS so these are what you'll find in the simulator - that's not necessarily true with RW charts.

The first today is DRNN, Diori Hamani airport in Niamey, Niger. All I knew of Niger before doing this airport is that it's in Africa. Oh, and there's that Limerick, recited in a movie once by Patricia Neal, about the Smiling Young Lady from Niger, who rode on the back of a tiger... Extra points if you can name the movie.

Anyway, this airport came, of course, from the world capitals list. Even though I randomized the list it's been coughing up a lot of African capitals. That's the thing with randomization - anything can happen. Also, many of the capitals in other regions of the world have already been done, so there is a natural built-in bias toward Africa and Asia in the list simply because so many of the rest are already done and get bypassed.

Wiki says that Niamey is the capital and that this airfield is also the main base for the Niger's equivalent of the USAF and the RAF. It sounds as if they're mostly a cargo hauling outfit with a few light reconnaissance aircraft thrown in.

The airport format forced me to a landscape format, which I try to avoid as much as possible for these diagrams, but everything did fit on one plate, so that's a plus. There are two parallel E-W runways, one paved at almost 10,000 feet X 150 feet. The other is dirt and is shorter and narrower. It's towered and lighted but only has a tower frequency. Runway 9 has a Cat. II ILS and there are navaids in the near distance, one in each direction on the extended runway centerlines. There is a MS fuel pump and a pretty long list of published approaches. There were about three custom buildings for me to bring into the diagram from FS screenshots.

The next up is a very surprising Boise Air Terminal/Gowen (KBOI), in Boise, Idaho - this one, of course, from the state capitals list. I say surprising because it's not uncommon for state capitals that don't happen to be thriving metropolises, such as Jefferson City, Missouri a few days ago, to have fairly modest and Spartan airports. I expected that here but this is a pretty major airfield with a pair of parallel 10K foot runways and acres and acres of ramps and buildings, including about a dozen custom ones.

There were enough published COM frequencies to drive me to a third plate for the text data - taxiway designators forced the second plate. The field has only one ILS but has a localizer back course approach for the other end amongst the sixteen published approaches. There's a VOR/DME and an NDB (the Runway 10R LOM) associated with the field so there seems to be plenty of help getting in. That's probably not a bad idea since the terrain maps show some good sized humps the whole sector from north to southeast. The extended runway centerlines of 28R and 28L in particular lead directly into high ground within three or four runway lengths of the departure end.

This airport lies at an elevation of 2,900' so that's something else to pay attention to, even though runway lengths are reasonable.

The updated airport today is Felker AAF (KFAF) in Ft. Eustis, Virginia. There's one runway and it's towered and lighted. The strip is just a little over 3,000' X 75 so isn't a major installation. There are naviads nearby but only one published approach, an NDB to Runway 14. The only building in FS is the tower and there is a MS fuel pump.

John

8/22/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

CYYR Goose Bay - Goose Bay, Newfoundland - Canada

y4mPyX689mmu1K-TWS9u8pSDKQt5FQkufZ73_gG2

y4md-BAtj-mRml9AGiznZoNrtFGsUrEIyHQdAkzH

0S7 Scott - Oroville, Washington - US

y4mQXj8iUK4I5F0X_-LEPhhP0rpyZ1kligtEJnMK

FKYS Nsimalen - Yaounde, Cameroon

y4mCFvuSiW7UHGDV0VSw9a-c_pvcGkhaLi34hWT4

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,356; downloads 1,784

On the list of places you don't want to visit, particularly in winter (just ask Wayne Knowles) Goose Bay (CYYR) has got to be right up there near the top of the list. It's a RCAF air base (or a Canadian Forces Base in some sources). It's co-located with a town called Happy Valley (formerly Refugee Cove) which probably narrowly won out over Frozen Wasteland.

Goose Bay was originally established as a military base in 1941 and was a busy stopover point on the trans-Atlantic ferry route in the war years. It's changed hands from Canada to the USAF and back to Canada over the years; today it's a mixed use airport, sharing civil operations and Canadian Forces.

As a former and current military field, it's big and well appointed. The pair of crossing runways are 11,000 X 209 and 9,600 X 200 '. In FSX there's a DME on the field (the civilly available artifact of a military TACAN) and an NDB and a VOR/DME are nearby. There are more COM frequencies than you can keep track of without a high-quality airport diagram and there are four published approaches, including a full ILS, a Localizer Backcourse, a Localizer A (Circle-to-Land) and an NDB approach.

The ramp space is about equal to the surface area of Rhode Island and there are enough named taxiways to require a second plate. There are many buildings scattered around, though all are FSX generic types. One very large part of the ramp has a surface listed as dirt, but in those latitudes it's probably indistinguishable from concrete most of the time. Have a visit, but bring your Muk-Luks.

0S7 is in Washington (state of...) in a town called Oroville. I'll bet my Louisiana based friend Skip knows all about this one. It's paved, 4,000' X 50', and lighted but is a non-tower facility with no published approaches and no navaids within the 20 NM radius that would get them mentioned on my chart. It does have a nearly full-length parallel taxiway, a modest ramp, a handful of generic FSX buildings and a MS fuel pump.

From the Tour of Africa, errm, make that the world capitals list, today's selection is FKYS, Nsimalen airport, serving Yaounde, the capital of Cameroon. You're remembering all these for the quiz next week, right?

FKYS has a very respectable runway of 11,200' X 148' and is towered and lighted and has a good selection of Navaids and approaches which includes a Cat II ILS, but little in the way of buildings. If you ever go there, send me a postcard.

John

8/23/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KPVD Green State - Providence, Rhode Island - US

y4m7UMawIciLd3t3WtzehSfoQTww08rWJli4n3Ki

y4mS6UUEIaU970tAlOGsC-KhIASXfRSQ-LeStYxU

BGBW Narsarsuaq - Narsarsuaq, Greenland

y4mwgMMNA80NC6-2T7Xv2Q-_COg8E1BgiL1AoYON

Updated:

KMDQ Madison Co Executive - Huntsville, Alabama - US (updated)

y4mutvhsEF8rWtu6TyAzTe3PmzAqLkUKTTbJKwbc

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,358; downloads 1,784

KPVD, Green State Airport in Providence RI is first up today. This one came from the US state capitals list and is the only 2-plate airport in the three today.

This is a good sized, well equipped airport. The two 150' wide runways are about 7,200 and 6,100 feet long. There's a reasonable number of buildings, including several non-generics, one of which is an extensive terminal building. There are ILSs on three of the four runways, including a Cat. III on runway 5. Seventeen published approaches are listed for KPVD, including the three ILSs. There's a VOR/DME on the field and LOMs at both ends of runway 5/23. All in all Green State gives every appearance of being a very civilized place.

The next airport is BGBW, Narsarsuaq, in the Greenland city of the same name. There are two runways shown here, in a V-configuration, but one is marked closed. The other, 6,000' X 150' 7/25 has no ILS - indeed there are no published approaches for this airport at all in FSX, despite a DME and an NDB situated on the field. The airport is uncontrolled with only a FSS frequency given but it's lighted and there's an ample ramp connected to the runway by a pair of taxiway stubs - no parallel taxiway. Magnetic variation is a rather large 29.8 degrees West.

Our third airport today is an update of the oldest file in the collection - Madison Co Executive (KMDQ) in Huntsville AL. The single runway is 5,000' + X 100'. There are Navaids nearby supporting three published non-precision approaches, including a VOR B for a Circle-to-Land arrival. This one is non-towered but the list of COM frequencies includes one for "Remote Clearance Delivery", which is fairly unusual, at least in FSX. Apparently you can whistle up your clearance on the radio, even though there's no control tower on the field. There are about 18 generic FS buildings for visual interest, some on the ramp and some clustered around a pair of parallel taxiways near the south end of the field.

John

8/24/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KHSE Mitchell - Hatteras, North Carolina - US

y4mAcsU9OSzeJJz73eNBdnue5Nt13wVfnGntRYUk

UMMS Minsk-2 - Minsk, Belarus

y4mqQyPgQEC1wH7dF4wcqEg8XtTo0UW6Q7IV7jtS

KBIS Bismarck Mun - Bismarck, North Dakota - US

y4mY2eXt3Bo82MT96_k2FsFvGTH-3uH1remQsc84

y4m2dBViwuIiC3FdZpDWolP2pMBcU6KweXd-3Mgp

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,361; downloads 1,784

I'm going to try to change up the content of this communication, focusing a little more on the history, usage and location of these airports rather than simply describing the nuts and bolts of the FSX facilities. That may be a little more interesting for you and for me.

The first one today is KHSE, Mitchell, in Hatteras, NC. It's on a narrow barrier island, one of many such along the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The airport itself is on a narrow neck of a triangular island where it's only about a runway length wide. It's right at the Hatteras Bight, where the line of barrier islands makes a prominent turn - those to the north are oriented more nearly straight north. Those to the south describe a line that's more NE/SW. The airport is owned and operated by the National Park Service.

The field is named for General Billy Mitchell, a post-WWI military aviation proponent who had the audacity to prove that capital ships could be sunk by aircraft bombs (not too far from the airport location), infuriating the Navy and his own US Army chain of command. It cost him his career, but he had let the genie out of the bottle and those who opposed military aviation could not get it back in. Within two decades, the Brits at Taranto, Italy and the Japanese at Pearl Harbor proved that they were paying attention. The Japanese removed all doubt in early 1942 by sinking Repulse and Prince of Wales entirely with aircraft while the ships were at sea, undamaged and under way.

The airport is smallish, unlighted and non-towered, but has some modest instrument capability and is quite a bit better appointed than the bare strips we sometimes see.

The next is UMMS, Minsk-2, in Minsk, Belarus. This one is from the world capitals list, after quite a long string of African airports from that list. In the RW it's now known as National Minsk Airport, but in FSX goes by it's former name, Minsk-2. It's described as the main international airport for Belarus. It's a fairly new facility, having only gone into operation in 1982. Wiki claims it serves over a million passengers a year. In 1985 there was a major air carrier crash, an Aeroflot Tu-134 that went down in an nearby forest shortly after takeoff, killing over half of those aboard.

UMMS is a major one-runway international, with a two mile strip that has ILSs at both ends (one a Cat. II), a large terminal, and good navaids and approaches.

I agonized a little over whether to make a second plate for Minsk-2, to handle the taxiway IDs but eventually opted to put them in the main view.

The third airport in our batch today is KBIS, Bismarck Municipal, in Bismarck, North Dakota. This one, of course, comes from the state capitals list. It's a two-runway airport, kind of big for a municipal, but smaller than most internationals. Wiki claims that a new terminal building was opened in 2005 and it shows in Google Earth, but FSX seems to have missed it. There are a handful of generic FS buildings there in the stock FSX airport, but not the new terminal. The 2010 traffic stats report an average of 125 flight operations a day, two-thirds of which are GA, and almost 200,000 passengers served.

The navigation aids are pretty good, including two ILSs to the longer runway. There are eight published approaches in all including a VOR A Circle-to-Land. This is the only two-plate diagram in the list of new ones rolled out today.

John

8/25/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

EGPO Stornoway - Stornoway, UK

y4mZIVmuHREoVyUTqhQB13Is5VranCuKWQsi6I4S

1C9 Frazier Lake - Hollister, California - US

y4mMvPsatJwvANPkAOZmN9h8ONfq9C0KVF3Rgdx6

Updated:

KHSV Huntsville Intl-Jones - Huntsville, Alabama - US (updated)

y4mfubyQQWMVAXeNnh15N8yUYx65ryNjIxKV4zS_

y4mQNOBctwRKz_TX2H7g4r36i1vbUqOtKvA829XD

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,363; downloads 1,787

The first selection today was the last on a list that I've now put to bed, the Mutley's Hangar Around the World Challenge III. I have another very large, very random and very eclectic list to replace it with - over 6,000 lines. I'm not going to live long enough to do all of them but it keeps me busy and keeps the grey cells active.

EGPO, Stornoway, is in a town of the same name on the island of Lewis, in the Outer Hebrides, off the west coast of the northern end of Scotland. The airport has commuter flights to various cities in Scotland. It has an RAF SAR helicopter based there and was formerly also home to RAF Stornoway, now shuttered.

Stornoway has four runways but two are closed in FSX and from the Google Earth image, in the RW as well.

There's one FSX anomaly at Stornoway - two DMEs on the field, in the exact same location and on the same frequency, but with different IDs, SOY and STW. I tuned in and turned on the audio and only SOY is heard. I'm not quite sure what's going on there, but they both show on the FSX map view and I've put both on the chart.

1C9 is Frazier Lake Airpark in Hollister CA, up in a valley above Monterey Bay behind the first line of hills. If the term airpark conjures up visions of a posh housing development around its own little runway, this isn't it. I think in this case it's just Californians being Californians. It's just an airport, but if they call it an airpark they can probably charge a dollar a gallon more for fuel, or they could if it had a fuel pump - it doesn't. Burning fuel isn't green, you know, so this being California, I'm sure they're against it. They do their bit for the environment by refusing to sell fuel, having everyone fly somewhere else to get it. The net result, of course, is more fuel usage, but meaningless gestures are important in such places. Being downwind of San Francisco, they probably only allow left-hand traffic patterns as well.

It has the distinction of having parallel grass and water runways, which is something you don't find all up and down the block. It's a distinctly landlocked place and the water runway in GE appears to just be a water-filled ditch. The width is listed as 60', so it's not as forgiving as most water landing spots. This airport may also qualify as the T-Hangar capital of the world - lots of them, particularly when considering the size of the airport itself, which is rather modest. Wiki says that, "On the first Saturday of each month the Airpark has an open house when it puts its antique and homebuilt aircraft on display to the public."

Since today is an update day, our third airport is a desperately needed re-do of KHSV Huntsville Intl-Jones, in Huntsville, Alabama. The new version required 2 plates, so downloads as a zip file.

KHSV's Runway 28R/36L at over 12,600' is reportedly the second longest runway in the SE US, bested only by one at KMIA. KHSV is an air cargo hub with many of the major national and international cargo airlines operating from there. It has cargo flights to Hong Kong and Mexico leaving frequently and a daily air cargo service to Europe.

John

8/26/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

MZBZ Philip S W Goldson Intl - Belize City, Belize

y4m9MCGreGQuSxtgyp80H-LTXaAIsxsAUeivXvV8

KTTN Trenton Mercer - Trenton, New Jersey - US

y4mkWbAmJLeJ9gfKGPJ_06FYrpqs-6GrI6IG23HG

y4maGFPWshWo5HMws1XnggQa6G79jU0u5nMkQwmv

SDLI Abare - Abare, Brazil

y4mosNZ-yXoH8QFLZyE0IBs9GIhy7xZw2VEKS_5T

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,366; downloads 1,789

All three airports are in the Americas today.

Even though MZBZ, Philip S W Goldson Intl came from my world capitals list, it turns out that the actual capital of Belize is now in Belmopa, some 50 miles away. Belize City was the original capital but a change was made to place the capital in a more hurricane resistant location. MZBZ is, however, the largest and most active airport in Belize, even thought it's only a moderate sized international with just one 7,100' runway.

KTTN in Trenton NJ came from the state capitals list. Like many states, the New Jersey capital is not the largest city in the state; the airport reflects that. FAA data indicates it's the sixth busiest in the state and third busiest commercially, superseded by Newark and Atlantic City. It officially became an airport in 1927.

In WWII, General Motors produced and test flew Grumman Avengers from the field, then known as Skillman Airport. The name has since changed from that to Mercer County Airport and then to the current Trenton Mercer, which is what is shown in FSX. It's a two-runway airport, the longest just over 6,000'. I did make a second plate for this one to accommodate the taxiway labels.

SDLI in Abare, Brazil came from one of the two large conglomerate lists I'm using now and barely made the cut with a single paved runway and nothing else in FSX. It's there in Google Earth too, looking just the same - not even a shack graces it. It's close to a small river village of the same name. It's a large river, but not the Amazon and the area is not forested - it looks more like desert.

John

8/27/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KFTG Front Range - Denver, Colorado - US

y4mQ4-D5h3iw71DDDedjQXNhou4Dlj8aeiRDutsT

y4mYj3SaMht04zfKGgzd7lDmtViq--4nfgIlzt8J

MBGT Jags McCartney Intl - Grand Turk I, Turks and Caicos Islands

y4mQ6Nc1QUhK3F1hBTym5z1TbKVnYi0k-2mVGjQG

Updated:

KRYY Cobb Co-McCollum - Atlanta, Georgia - US (updated)

y4m7WB-5VcKIX09d5uTaF0_hQOB7-V93dcbQy5CI

y4m67HgfSpmxjtTcibzJhMiDQh0MoePKsDFBIAzm

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,368; downloads 1,801

For a second day running, all three airports are in the Americas today.

KFTG is about 3 miles SE of the main Denver airport, KDEN. It's a predominantly GA airport with a very "spread out" footprint. It's two paved runways are at right angles, do not intersect and are both about 8,000' long, giving it a pretty large land area. There's a shorter closed runway too, lying N and S (and so designated, vice runway numbers) off the west end of Runway 8/26. It's a towered, lighted airport with the kind of Navaids you'd expect to find in close proximity to KDEN. Three of the runways have ILS approaches.

This one required a second plate for the taxiway designators.

MBGT, Jags McCartney Intl, is from the national capitals list and is located on Grand Turk Island, in the Turks and Caicos Islands. The "Jags" is more properly JAGS or J.A.G.S., which are the man's initials. He was a local politician. FSX chose to alter the capitalization and I've followed suit on the plate, which is my intent always - to show what FS shows, right or wrong.

It's a medium sized airport with a single mile-long runway. The island is small, about 1 runway wide and five runways long, but contains Cockburn Town, the capital. This is the second largest airport in the Turks and Caicos, the larger one being MBPV, Providenciales Intl, on a different island altogether. Though towered and lighted, there is no ILS, but two non-precision approaches are available to Runway 11. MS forgot the fuel pump, but I suspect in the real world you can probably get fuel there.

The updated airport today is KRYY, Cobb Co-McCollum, in Atlanta, Georgia. Interestingly, in FS9 the city is listed as Marietta, but FSX has it as Atlanta. It's over 20 miles north of the center of Atlanta. It's officially classified as a reliever airport for both KATL, Atlanta Hartsfield and KPDK, DeKalb-Peachtree. It has the third highest traffic stats of airports in Georgia with an average of about 475 operations per day.

It has one runway a little over a mile long. There are large ramps and full-length parallel taxiways on both sides of the runway. In FSX most of the buildings are on the north side, including one custom building. There are two very large generic buildings on the south side but no others. Google Earth shows the south side much more built up these days, but that's an alternate reality.

KRYY has good Navaids and approaches, including an ILS from the Runway 27 end.

This one got a second plate for taxiway designations.

John

8/28/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KLIT Adams - Little Rock, Arkansas - US

y4mIKjS8NMMSeOGfTxNAJnN5YM8gIRFDmGBh8GkN

y4mkzPCUhuy-Am05LXVutFECH7F7Xvo4G5jtNTAE

y4m2INrw9FMrzZo1Bw6JesYWQQoG2MlT0ocz-Ixf

KVVV Ortonville Mun-Martinson - Ortonville, Minnesota - US

y4mxhluvOLCA9LA_BgNREWHG2Doo_ZwKxwJcpBUQ

LEJR Jerez - Jerez, Spain

y4m6ctHi1KHID9Bc8wmKV08H_IIYM20JsSEUb3AQ

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,371; downloads 1,801

The set of three new airports diagrammed today includes two from the US and one in Spain.

First up is KVVV, Ortonville Muni, in Ortonville MN. Ortonville lies on the western edge of Minnesota, about a third of the way up the state. If this airport were two runway lengths further west it would be in South Dakota. The FSX airport agrees closely with the Google Earth view, right down to the size and shape of the single building and the location of the fuel pump. A fuel truck? Surely you jest. It's not that kind of place.

There's a 3,400' paved runway and a shorter grass one that the RW airport information say is closed in the winter. There is an NDB on the field but no other nearby Navaids. FSX has two non-precision approaches to KVVV.

The other US airport today is quite a ways toward the other end of the spectrum - it's KLIT - Adams, in Little Rock, Arkansas. This one came from the US state capitals list, of course and is a big place. The longest of the three runways is almost 8,300' and there are four ILSs, a custom terminal and a lot of buildings. The layout was such that I had to resort to a landscape format to diagram it, which I try to avoid. It took three plates, one for the main view, one for the taxiway callouts and a third because I just couldn't fit in all the text data in the main view - I'd have been alright but for the very long list of FSX approaches, which I've only been including on these diagrams for a short time.

KLIT is now officially named Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport/Adams Field, though FSX missed the boat on that one by about six years - the renaming didn't occur until 2012. It's the largest airport in the state and served over 2.1 million pax in a recent year. It has no international flights but boasts about 150 commercial passenger arrivals and departures daily to 18 "national/international gateway cities", i.e. it's pretty much a commuter airport.

According to Wiki, in WWII the field was used for "...antisubmarine patrols and training." Since it's over 400 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, which was not exactly a hotbed of U-Boat operations and is easily twice that from the Atlantic, I'm wondering about the accuracy of that. They must have done a great job, however - there wasn't a single ship lost to U-Boats on the Mississippi River.

Jerez Airport (LEJR) in Jerez, Spain rounds out our three airports for today. It's in southern Spain, landlocked but only about 20 miles inland from Cadiz. it's a single-runway (> 7,500') airport that hosts international flights from Germany and the UK as well as domestic flights, and serves around 1.3 million pax per year. There's an ILS to one end and a few other approaches, with supporting Navaids close by. In GE it looks pretty close to the FSX version but with more buildings and expanded ramps.

John

8/29/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

OMAA Abu Dhabi Intl - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

y4mq5q7m4PVyaXkU0L-osoLT1sKTkCOmSi3dYNgE

y4m14pMru0H3mtT5kD-yw0DQZmaWaHsfHx95HUqn

KJAN Jackson Intl - Jackson, Mississippi - US

y4mjaZyoJ4PNu6_xdYQu7t0X7FNPW3KV0Ttp6K0b

y4mDSVzwbq10-HrlK964ee19Ehw_y_aDY4dW9E0R

Updated:

KAPF Naples Mun - Naples, Florida - US (updated)

y4m46s9tESZrm6Ym9rQO4vxovSV3X3sX81EhOrci

y4mzkeUzXCN5qMLcNRfIrIrwlC_5lbeOkHFmvqhx

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,373; downloads 1,801

I worked hard today - all three of the airports in this batch are fairly large and complex; each required a second plate and all had custom buildings. This is the other side of the coin from the kind with a single strip and no facilities - we get those often enough too.

Abu Dhabi Intl (OMAA - sounds like what a teenager responds with when told to clean his room), in the United Arab Emirates is the first new diagram today. This is a single runway airport in FSX with a strip almost 13,500' long. It has ILSs from both ends, one a Cat. II, and several other approaches. There's a VOR/DME on the field

The airport in FSX includes a number of custom buildings, including a terminal with jetways sprouting from islands which connect to a central island that connects to the main building. I'm coming to the realization that some of the airport buildings in FSX can really only be appreciated from the air. All you see from ramp level is a facade and the physical layouts, which are often quite complex, are lost to us. Like KLIT yesterday, I had to use a landscape format on this one to display it in sufficient detail.

In the RW there's a large expansion project in the works with a price tag of several billions with a B, to include a second parallel runway. 2010 data for this airport indicates about 11 million passengers served. This airport comes from the world capitals list.

Next up is KJAN, in Jackson, Mississippi. This one fell out of the randomized US state capitals list today. It has two offset parallel runways, which is a format that is wasteful of space, at least on the airport diagrams and forces a scale that is not conducive to good details. The runways are in the 8,500' length range.

The official name in RW sources is Jackson-Evers International Airport, after Medgar Evers of civil rights fame. Though that name change occurred in 2005, MS must have missed the memo, since KJAN is listed in FSX simply as Jackson Intl. The Mississippi ANG maintains a base at KJAN and operates C-17s from there.

Today's update is KAPF, in Naples, Florida, down toward the SW end of the peninsula. It has a symmetrical X arrangement of the two paved runways (~ 5,000') and a much shorter grass strip paralleling one leg of one of them. This is a building-rich airport in FSX, including several custom structures, but they are not terribly complex - none of the sprawling, serpentine terminals and concourses here. It does have three refueling trigger areas with pumps in FSX, not unheard of, but unusual. The taxiway system required a second plate, as did both the others today.

This field was originally established as an Army training field in 1942 and imaginatively named Naples Army Airfield. Basic flight training was conducted there during the war, mainly in Fairchild PT-19s, before becoming a civil airport post-war. This airport suffered a severe loss of pax with the opening of KRSW in nearby Ft. Meyers and eventually all scheduled airline service was terminated. Aircraft operations in a recent year totaled about 130,000.

This is a large, complex, primarily-GA airport. It has no ILSs but quite a number of published non-precision approaches and has both a VOR/DME and an NDB on the field. It is lighted and towered.

Newsletter work will be upon me soon so I anticipate a brief interruption in production of airport diagrams sometime over the next few days.

John

8/30/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

PAFA Fairbanks Intl - Fairbanks, Alaska - US

y4mdU-lbQN6Znc1dToZny0e_6viPFCexI5nzis_7

y4mrbiwlVQqFSD5GcHYRMagBpC0iVa47_0UkD4uq

CYYN Swift Current - Swift Current, Saskatchewan - Canada

y4mHyMq6mb_m9vMrL9M14NrD7NyTZoGwtMpaLoDA

NSTU Pago Pago Intl - Pago Pago, American Samoa

y4ml-d9LBICrvL9DsCBUB4aAfm6g8X8TFbV3mFz8

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,376; downloads 1,801

Fairbanks Intl (PAFA) in Fairbanks Alaska has a little of everything. It has two conventional paved runways, one measuring in at almost 11,800' long. The other paved strip, considerably smaller, lies co-linear, almost end to end separated only by a narrow apron, from a gravel runway. To round out the collection of runways there's a landlocked water strip paralleling the rest, of a generous 5,400' X 200' size.

Wiki says that PAFA is a popular refueling stop serving the trans-polar routes and is much used by the cargo airlines for that purpose. They also say this is the smallest city in the US with scheduled, non-stop service to Europe (Germany, once weekly). Fairbanks has recently replaced their old terminal with a new one, increasing the number of jetways by one, to six, but in a building with a smaller footprint. Presumably the one in the diagram (from FSX) is the old one, but so, apparently is the one in Google Earth (photo date April 2010) because it compares very closely to the FSX version and shows only five jetways.

The FSX version of the airport is pretty detailed and has dozens of buildings, several of which are custom. Navaids and approaches are about what you'd expect for an international of this size.

CYYN, Swift Current, in the city of the same name in Saskatchewan, Canada, is a much smaller place than Fairbanks. There are two runways, the longest a little over 4,200'. During the war years Swift Current served as a British Commonwealth Air Training Base for the RAF. It has a couple of buildings and a MS fuel pump and everything is paved. It's non-towered but has a half-dozen published approaches and a VOR/DME on the field. The field elevation is worth noting, at 2,680'.

Even further off the beaten path, but with the most interesting history of the three airports today, is NSTU, Pago Pago Intl in American Samoa. It's an airport of many names, Tafuna Airbase, Tafuna Airfield, Tafuna Airport, or as FSX terms it Pago Pago Intl. It's in the village of Tafuna, which is on the island of Tutuila. The eastern end of the two runways jut out into the ocean, forming a vee and enclosing a good sized triangle of water between them.

The larger of the two runways is a shade over 10,000' and to prove it, Wiki has a photo of the behemoth AN-225 on final to that runway, flying in electrical generators.

The field began life as Tafuna Airfield, part of the US Naval Station Tutuila. Construction was underway when WWII began and it was used throughout the war. This field also played a role in the Apollo space program; five of the returning crews (but not Apollo 11) from the Apollo flights were retrieved at sea not far away, helicoptered to Pago Pago and then flown home via Hawaii by C-141 Starlifters.

There was a major crash involving a Pan AM 707, Flight 806, here in January 1974, striking trees in the approach path and crashing short of the runway. 97 of 101 aboard were killed.

John

8/31/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KILG New Castle - Wilmington, Delaware - US

y4mgbkWp4prekANvxDRXUVUZlRJU1DMRSqO_feVU

y4mimylcUQ0YBWDll_z5UZLpAMjjdSLYFNtIwHhp

FL03 Department Of Corrections Field - Lake Butler, Florida - US

y4mUmAf98orFFTC_6d_bBQEYxFqeFCO2UvqOIMJz

Updated:

MYAB Bain - Andros I, The Bahamas (updated)

y4mQ_OrGDMpEPrtJ-ro5Y0MF9M9HGPbI6HNzWuMk

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,378; downloads 1,801

New Castle Airport (KILG) in Wilmington, Delaware was at the top of the US state capitals list today. New Castle airport is the nearest large commercial airport to Delaware's capital city, Dover. This airport is listed as a joint civil and military field, but there was no information given about the military tenant. The Google Earth shot shows a military operation at the NE corner, with six Herky-birds parked on the ramp there in military precision.

Though opened as a civil airport before WWII, the field was commandeered by the USAAF during the war years and became New Castle Army Air Base. The mission of the base was, "... to facilitate the movement of aircraft overseas for delivery to the British and other Allies. Members of the historic Women Air Service Pilots (WASP) served as test and ferry pilots and towed targets for student gunners." New Castle was returned to the civil authorities following the war and reverted to civilian use.

This is a medium-sized, 3-runway airport, arranged in an overlapping triangle. The longest runway at 7,000', has an ILS for one end and there are seven other non-precision approaches. It's towered, lighted and has a VOR/DME on the field. This one required two plates, the only one of today's batch that did.

The next airport is on the list of places you probably have no desire to visit. It's FL03, Department Of Corrections Field, near Lake Butler, Florida. This is a private (government owned) airport that serves the Florida State Prison. The runway cuts the prison property in two, with prison facilities on both sides of the runway. FSX has about a dozen large, plausible buildings. I normally don't include building footprints in these diagrams if they lie outside the airport fences or "flatten" area but made an exception in this case as they are the primary items of interest. There isn't much here in FSX of an aviation nature - no fuel pump, radio frequencies or local navaids, though there are some within 20 NM and I've listed those on the chart.

Looking at this area on Google Earth shows that the prison buildings in FSX are pretty close to reality, particularly those on the west side of the field. There are also remnants of two crossing runways that are no longer active and which are not depicted in FSX at all. There is a clear impression that this was a wartime military field that became state property sometime after, though no history came easily to hand.

The updated diagram today was an easy one, MYAB, Bain, on Andros Island in the Bahamas. It's a 5,000' paved strip with a small ramp and connecting taxiway at one end. There are three small buildings in FSX but no aviation facilities. That seems to match up pretty well with GE and real world publications regarding the place.

John

9/1/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

0M8 Byerley - Lake Providence, Louisiana - US

y4mRUCbAVEexzVZrWgw66g8sxu6thuvfn_KLPa67

NGFU Funafuti Intl - Funafuti, Tuvalu

y4mOYuolP74zvYE8uK-k5N3Xbh2ssdg1RpoeHtXG

KAUS Austin Bergstrom Intl - Austin, Texas - US

y4mjgax1QsJ6Do_-6fVwPOI9XX847EaOhh_9KZsp

y4mChQtUYYANJgVhnrMVg6o-Z_NW18N2-matuBM1

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,381; downloads 1,801

0M8, Byerley, in Lake Providence, Louisiana (hopefully not underwater from hurricane Isaac) came off one of two randomized, large, nondescript and highly variable lists that I use, along with two others that are a little more organized.

Wiki has nothing to say about Byerley except a line in the list of Louisiana airports. In Google Earth it looks much like it does in FS. There's a single asphalt strip, about 3,200' with small overruns at both ends. There is a modest network of taxiways at each end and the buildings are at the south end. It's lighted but not towered. There's no fuel pump but it does have an NDB on the field and three published approaches.

NGFU, Funafuti International, in Funafuti, Tuvalu, came from the national capitals list today. The town of Funafuti is the capital of the island nation of Tuvalu. The airport, according to Wiki was built in 1943 by US Navy Seabees. The field had SBD Dauntless dive bombers in residence during the war and also became home to two heavy bomber units flying B-24 Liberators from there. After the war the airfield became a civilian facility. It has a 5,000' + coral runway and a small mid-field ramp butted hard against the side of the strip. It's non-towered and unlighted but has an MS fuel pump, a DME and an NDB on the field and three published instrument approaches, all non-precision.

KAUS is Austin Bergstrom Intl, in Austin Texas. Seeing it pop up made me think my luck had run out and it would be a big and complex one. It turned out not to be so bad after all. In Texas, as in many states, the capital is not the principal metropolis of the state. In this case, Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth far outstrip Austin and it was the airports in those places I was thinking about. The one in Austin, though a decent sized airport with an International classification, is not in the same category with KDFW or KIAH. It is, however a fair sized and very busy airport. Wiki reports that over 9 million passengers passed through KAUS in 2011.

Over the years several different airports served as the main one for Austin, the location moving around as various political, geographical and environmental issues forced each one in turn to be closed in favor of the next. Each subsequent airport solved some of the problems but never satisfied everyone. Finally, in 1991, the DoD announced the closure of Bergstrom AFB and ceded it back to the city, who had donated the land to the Federal government in 1942 as part of the war effort. Austin Bergstrom was opened in 1999 as the main Austin-area commercial airport.

The commercial flights between Austin and San Jose CA have been irreverently dubbed the "Nerd Bird", a reference to the high tech companies that are situated in those two cities, among them Dell, Apple, Sun and H-P.

KAUS has two parallel strips of unequal length, the longest almost 12,300' long. There are ILSs at all four ends and 17L is a Cat III installation. About eight other instrument approaches are available as well. There is a good assortment of navaids nearby supporting the published approaches.

This diagram required two plates because of the taxiway designators. It's a widespread layout with the runways far enough apart to permit simultaneous ILS operations on two parallel runways. Unfortunately, this kind of airport footprint yields a pretty low res image so detail is not great on this one - 150' wide runways render about 8 or 9 pixels wide, including the margins. I'm not unhappy with the result, but it's just the nature of airports laid out like this that I don't end up with a crisp, eye-catching image. It works for its intended purpose, which is to give the FS user the data he needs to use the airport comfortably and effectively - cosmetics are secondary. There is a large custom terminal building in FSX and the footprint of that is captured and graces the main pax ramp.

John

9/3/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

38N Smyrna - Smyrna, Delaware - US

y4mk6h4_41eQA14H8rfeyA-RRuw2QUDH5XVwtvJI

17TX Kimzey - Stephenville, Texas - US

y4mPwmxoKtJgwNtHmzmyVkLeDBN0QU8b1xaxptBI

Updated:

MYGW West End - West End, Bahamas (updated)

y4m-Wgf3a0wYCN-OtIxbEzg374aCXhh1DpGJjzfS

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,383; downloads 1,803

Yeah, OK, I took a day off airport diagrams to scribble some newsletter articles yesterday... but I'm back. All the airports today turned out to be easy ones, but that was just the luck of the draw, not me resting on my... laurels.

The first one today is 38N, Smyrna, Delaware, not too far from KILG from the other day. One of my subscribers let me know that he'd learned to fly in Smyrna, so I took that as a request and ran with it. It's an interesting little airport with the emphasis on little. It looks very much in FSX like it does in Google Earth, where I think I can see a sailplane parked in the grass. The runway is grass and the length is given as 2600 feet; unexpectedly, it's lighted. Smyrna has a CTAF/UNICOM frequency and a MS fuel pump and some buildings. The ramp is separated from the runway by a fairly lengthy taxiway and it is, all in all, a nice looking place but kind of low end on the facilities. There are navaids within 20 NM but no published approaches.

17TX Kimzey in Stephenville TX is our second offering. It makes Smyrna look like O'Hare (well, OK, at least like Midway). The only thing that got it in the door is a paved runway, 3200 X 30. There's nothing else, including navaids within 20 NM. I'm surprised it actually has latitude and longitude coordinates. It looks about the same in GE except that it has a little turnaround loop at the south end with a good sized shed or pole barn set square in the middle of it - those features are not in FSX.

Today is an update day and the oldest airport diagram in the pile was MYGW, West End, in the Bahamas. The image in GE is largely covered with clouds and is one of those low-res places where you can't see much in the way of details. Per Wiki the town of West End and the airport lie on the island of Grand Bahama, which is the same island where Freeport is located. It's the most westerly airport in the Bahamas and according to Wiki again, was recently re-opened and is used mainly by cargo aircraft. There are two pretty large runways which are laid out in an asymmetrical X - the longest is 8,000'. There's a good sized ramp connected to both runways by taxiway stubs and a couple of buildings in FSX, but no fuel pump. There's an NDB on the field and a VOR/DME in Freeport, about 16 NM away, but no published approaches. It's lighted but uncontrolled.

John

9/4/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

LLJR Jerusalem - Jerusalem, Israel

y4mIo7fRssAaSLcR4HQHt6b4xaQvqGWATsbE3d_t

TNCC Willemstad/Hato Intl. - Curacao I, Netherlands Antilles

y4ml1byCqVgYA5RB6sk0thCV2pNtIH57zKOLcYn2

KSLC Salt Lake City Intl - Salt Lake City, Utah - US

y4mPDBjhKlL_OQPnmzTZNV7WlRTAdLJfrOfgKFOo

y4m0F3A-AioD3Ob8UwBR-CIoRpXbV9-38Zgso2qL

y4mvh1Xxw5590fB2pJKg7LrjQIGhCGmNILYTMik-

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,386; downloads 1,804

The first offering today is LLJR, Jerusalem, in Israel, of course. Wiki speaks of this airport in the past tense, saying it's been closed since the Second Intifada, which was roughly 2000 to 2005. They even have a photo of the "abandoned entrance". It shows in Google Earth but there's a point of interest flag that says it's a refugee camp. The satellite photo is not particularly hi-res, but I can make out neither Xs on the runway nor any aircraft in residence, so your guess is as good as mine.

LLJR began life as Kalandai Airport and was the only airport in the British Mandate for Palestine at the time, primarily a military field. Though Israel intended it for international use, the world's airlines never cooperated, supposedly due to Arab political pressure, and the airport remained a small time operation serving only charters and domestic flights. The Intifada brought the airport to the fore as a target for stone throwing and the runways were supposedly at one time littered with thousands of stones. It was closed and turned over to the Israeli Defense Forces, but does not appear to be in use as an air base.

Nonetheless, it's alive and well in FSX and looks pretty good. It's one runway is about 6,400 X 150 and an ILS to one end is listed. That's the only published approach. There's an NDB listed on the field and a VOR/DME almost 20 NM away. The airport in FSX is towered and lighted. If you go there, watch for rocks on the runway.

The second airport today is TNCC, from the national capitals list. That's in Willemstad, Curacao. not far from the coast of Venezuela. It's listed as the second longest runway in the Caribbean region, at almost 11,200' X 200'. That's pretty sizeable. It saw service in WWII as a base for anti-submarine patrols. Among the types listed as stationed there were A-20 Havocs and P-40 Warhawks, neither of which strike me as much of a platform for ASW, but what do I know?

It's a mixed use field, with civil operations sharing the place with the Coast Guard Netherland Antilles and Aruba (two DHC Dash 8s) and there is also a USAF Forward Operating Base occupying a large ramp and a series of buildings on the west end. The latter show in Google Earth but are not included in the FSX version.

In FSX the runway has a radically displaced threshold on the west end. It shows as towered, lighted and has an ILS from the west. Besides the ILS there are two other approaches published. A VOR/DME is on the approach path for Runway 11 too.

Last today, but far from least, is KSLC, Salt Lake City Intl. It's a large 4-runway airport that really had me working hard to diagram, requiring three very busy plates. There are dozens of buildings, all custom, except one lonely generic FS structure. All of those had to be imported from FS top down screenshots. Documenting the taxiways was a handful too and the work also required a third plate just for text information - it has 25 radio frequencies and 21 approaches, including six ILSs, four of which are Cat. IIIs. Oddly there's only one navaid within 20 NM, a VOR/ DME on the Runway 16 approaches. If they were all like this one I'd only be doing one a day - or less.

This airport, of course, came from the US state capitals list today. It's listed as joint use civil/military. The 2010 passenger stats says over 21 million passed through in that year and records show an average of almost a thousand operations per day. The airport has a long history and saw periodic expansion, beginning in 1911. KSLC, under some of its earlier names has seen the likes of Glenn Curtiss and Charles Lindbergh (in the Spirit of St. Louis). It was an early air mail hub and an early passenger flight base too. The Utah Air National Guard operates an air refueling wing from there, flying KC-135R tankers.

Wiki lists five relatively major air carrier accidents having occurred at KSLC, four involving multiple fatalities. The non-fatal was a fire on a 727 at the gate while boarding was in progress.

John

9/5/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KFSU Ft Sumner Mun - Ft Sumner, New Mexico - US

y4mSD17KOCBNd15l7dEBYC_1mYaBKQw4ksd1W0Pp

UAAA Almaty - Almaty, Kazakhstan

y4mKA-aoYHUWi8BboLn2yPxDddCiDD7GDqboOf6p

Updated:

KIXD New Century Aircenter - Olathe, Kansas - US (updated)

y4mBingJVpL9xyaFYa9V8_KxaDfAynHA7Lf8feEh

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,388; downloads 1,804

Just for interest, here's the current breakdown of airports in the collection, by region...

US - 598

UK - 136

Europe - 210

South & Central America - 129

Australia & Oceania - 68

Canada - 46

Asia - 101

Africa - 100

KFSU Ft Sumner Muni, in Ft Sumner, New Mexico was opened in 1920 as a stopover for a proposed trans-continental passenger network, but the wheels fell off the plan in the Great Depression. Re-activated during the war, as Ft. Sumner Army Airfield, advanced twin-engine training was conducted from here. Late in the war, B-24 and B-17 replacement crew training became the curriculum. It reverted to civil ownership in late 1945.

KFSU has acres and acres of ramp space, left over from the military usage, but Google Earth shows it completely devoid of aircraft. What appears to a closed runway N/S runway is barely discernible in the satellite shots and is not even mentioned in FSX as a runway. There it appears as a long parking apron but the layout clearly suggests it was once a runway, perhaps even the main one. Now it is just additional ramp space, which doesn't seem to needed too badly.

NASA staked out some real estate at the airport for high altitude balloon launches and continues to have a presence there with a few launches per year of instrument packages. That aside, this is not a hotbed of aviation activity - annual operations number about 12 per month and only five aircraft call this their home field.

The airport lies at an elevation of 4,165 feet and the longest operational runway is 5802 X 75 feet. It's lighted but has no tower, nearby navaids or published approaches.

Isn't it amazing how many former military airfields there are around? KIXD New Century Aircenter, in Olathe, Kansas, our updated diagram for today, is another. It was formerly Naval Air Station Olathe. Wiki reports there's still an Army Reserve Aviation Regiment on the field, with CH-47 Chinooks, though I couldn't spot any in the Google Earth view. They may all be in the "A" place.

One of its claims to fame is a "haunted" hangar where all sorts of paranormal things related to a pilot who crashed there in the 1950s are supposedly happening.

This field is surrounded by a busy industrial park and even on airport property there is a lot more in the way of buildings and paved areas than is shown in FSX. There are two active runways, one pretty large at about 7,300 X almost 200 feet. There is a third closed runway. Other than the bustling commercial and industrial footprint around the margins of the airport, GE and FSX are in pretty close agreement. This is a pretty full-featured airport, lighted, towered, with an ILS and about eight other approaches. Airport operations volume is listed at about 58,000 per year.

No, I didn't crop off the end of that apron finger just north of the displaced threshold of Runway 4, the end really is shaped like that and in fact, from the GE image, that's automobile parking now.

Lastly we have UAAA Almaty, in Almaty, Kazakhstan. This is from the world capitals list. Wiki states that the city of Almaty is the "commercial capital" of the country - apparently the political capital is Astana. This airport, however, is the largest in the country. With a runway listed at 14,438 X 148, that's not surprising. What is surprising is a new parallel runway about the same size in the GE view, lying very near but axially offset a few thousand feet from the original. Both appear to be in service and the old single runway 5/23 in FSX is legibly labeled 5R/23L in the GE shot, while it's twin is 5L/23R. The Wikipedia article bears that out, giving an in-service date for the second runway in late 2008.

In 1999, a fire that began in the kitchen of a terminal restaurant burned the entire structure to the ground, forcing a terminal replacement whether they wanted to or not. Pax volume is listed at about 2,500,000 per year.

In FSX it's a major one-runway international, with two ILSs, one a Cat. II, and a full complement of LOMs and LMMs on the approach paths, as well as a VOR/DME on one of them. Other approaches are listed as well. It's pretty sparsely populated with buildings and the taxiway network is minimal, so this is only a one-plate diagram, as are the other two in today's batch as well.

John

9/7/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

NTAA Faaa - Tahiti I, French Polynesia

y4mhW2spgw_5RrF6PRSVX7tTBZWbOGIyC_rpaQ3H

KCON Concord Mun - Concord, New Hampshire - US

y4m8SgfSNE9UOJCLUDunlHtKcet2SX0IuDFA2IJq

MS03 Christmas - Shelby, Mississippi - US

y4mrD428bp4k6Bjg1MJ-lLrX0enMcN3GsLJ4rqlI

Updated:

EGVN Brize Norton AB - Brize Norton, UK (updated)

y4mJooCIArvj5iVkBy6Nqqe5H_kZYQiASDHRQ935

y4mwC5NoUsnzSQ2foXdAuO38XSsO33bIjvLRzQxH

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,391; downloads 1,804

Faaa Airport (NTAA) is only a few kilometers from Papeete, the French Polynesian capital, and is the only international airport in French Polynesia. Wiki claims that a paucity of level ground in the area required that the airport be built on man-made land, by filling in a coral reef that lay near the shore - one more thing for Greenpeace to not like the French for. Google Earth does in fact show it lying right on the shoreline. According to the information in Wikipedia, one of only five McDonald's restaurants in French Polynesia is in an airport terminal building.

In 1973 a Pan Am 707, Flight 816, a B-707, crashed on takeoff from here killing all but one aboard.

The airport has a single large runway, about 11,200' long, but the ground facilities are fairly modest for an international airport. There are two ramps, one fairly large and looking like it's intended for the commercial traffic. On the other side of the runway is a much smaller ramp with a collection of small buildings - that has a GA look. There is no parallel taxiway - both ramps connect directly to the runway by taxiway stubs and since the ramps both lie fairly near one end, a lot of back taxiing must be required. The runway does have a mid-field wide spot for turnarounds and another at the far end. A turn-around loop at the far end in Google Earth is marked with closed Xs and only part of it is shown in FSX.

Faaa has a half-dozen published approaches, including an ILS to Runway 4. There is an NDB and a VOR/DME on the field and another NDB on the extended centerline for the Runway 4 approach. It is not an LOM or LMM, however.

KCON is Concord Muni and serves Concord, the state capital of New Hampshire. It's described as a GA airport, with no scheduled air service. It's non-towered, but lighted and appears in Google Earth to be a fairly active place. It has three runways (one closed) and there's an ILS to one end of the largest, which is about 6,000 X 100 feet.

GE shows an airport that looks very much like the FSX version. There's a large, clean, precisely laid out ramp at the NE end that in GE has a number of hints of being military but is not mentioned in the Wiki article and there are no aircraft on the ramp. What looks very much like a Huey sits on the grass near what appears to be the main entrance to the building there is a military truck park nearby, but the ramp is empty.

MS03 is an airport named Christmas, in Shelby, Mississippi and is at the low end of the spectrum. It has a single 3,900 foot paved runway and in FSX has four generic buildings grouped at one end - no ramp, no taxiways, just structures in the grass near the end of the runway. There's no Wiki article for it - the only mention is an entry in the list of airports in Mississippi. Google Earth shows much the same. There is a small yellow aircraft near the runway mid-point in the GE image, which could possibly be a crop duster. No other airplanes show in the GE view.

There are no radio frequencies listed in FSX, no approaches and the only navaid within 20 NM is an NDB about 7 miles away. The field is unlighted and there's no MS fuel pump. This is not the most sparse field I've ever done but let's just say it's not KATL either.

The updated airport today is the very busy RAF Brize Norton AB (EGVN) near the town of the same name in the UK. Wiki says it's the largest station of the RAF and is, I believe, their main military overseas air terminal. The Google Earth shot shows a bustling base with some serious transport aircraft parked at various places around the ramps, including four C-17s, one with the #2 engine cowls open. There is a major ramp construction project in progress on the NE end.

The base was established as a training field in 1937. There was a USAF presence here in the Cold War years, including B-36s, B-47s, B-52s, B-58s, KC-97s and KC-135s at various times.

In FSX there's a main runway and a closed cross-runway that's really split into two separately identified pieces, 3/21 and 4/22. The are exactly in line, however, so the numbering is odd.

I used a second plate for taxiway callouts, primarily because so many are marked as closed - those get a designator too and the diagram gets kind of busy. I try to take those kinds of situations off the main view when they occur.

The field is, of course, towered and lighted. The only approaches listed are ILSs, from both ends. The main runway is about 10,000 X 100. In FSX there are both an NDB and a DME on the field, but of course the DME is really a TACAN, which we can only get a piece of in FSX.

John

9/8/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

YIVL Inverell - Inverell, New South Wales - Australia

y4mFxHBYK-5ttSn5fO3-6YEEkMUJ-qpEcCP0Kulr

4SD4 Dan's - Rapid City, South Dakota - US

y4mMFqi2tWIxs4DqhNxolRfE--GGIZZy9n95Xk0t

LYBE Belgrade - Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro

y4mNyBgfF6LNy1B0mwzQcy_m2AtkoOuUlBU39t3L

y4mrr9mX2jPIcy0ty-rFsG4FNzcTTVZM-x2MTF0v

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,394; downloads 1,804

YIVL Inverell Airport is in Inverell, NSW, Australia. Wiki has an entry for it but has precious little to say about it. Google Earth has it looking pretty much like it does in the diagram, right down to the ramp layout and buildings. It doesn't appear to have changed much since 2006 when MS published FSX.

There's a single paved strip that's almost 7,000 X 100 and a short grass strip intersecting it at an angle, almost in the middle. The ramp, buildings and facilities are fairly modest - No tower, but lighted and has a fuel pump and a few stock FSX buildings. There's an NDB on the field and two published non-precision approaches.

4SD4 is simply named "Dan's". It's in Rapid City, South Dakota and this diagram fulfills a request. With a single unpaved runway and no buildings, fuel pump or other MS-provided enhancements in the stock FSX version this one would not normally have been diagrammed, but for a request, anything goes and I'm happy to provide them if asked. This field is owned by the nephew of one of my subscribers and is home to quite a collection of AC. Here's what he says...

"In Hanger #2, he's re-building a 1930 Fleet open cockpit and also stores his Sailplane.

In Hanger #1, he has newly re-built Stolp Starduster too SA300 with an aerobatic harness and buffalo hide seat upholstery and also his semi-retired Bellanca Super Viking and a rebuilt Rans S-123 Airaile ultralight.

The Eclipse 500 baby jet he flies for North American University lives at KRAP, next door. They now have two Eclipses and he has another pilot working for him."

By the way, though you can't see it on the diagram, this runway lies within about a runway length (a 4SD4 runway length, not the bigger place's) of the main Rapid City airport, Rapid City Regional, which didn't fare so well in the ICAO Code Lottery, as you can see in the quote above.

Dan's hasn't much of anything in the way of facilities in FSX except excellent navaids nearby, but you can be assured there's more going on there in the RW than meets the eye in FS.

The third one today is LYBE Belgrade, in Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro, which you may remember was once part of the People's Paradise of Tito's Yugoslavia. It was, in fact, the capital, I believe and remains the capital of the new political entity of which it's a part. The airport is now named for Nikola Tesla, but FSX missed the renaming by about a half a year, so in FSX the name is just Belgrade.

The German Luftwaffe used the airport from 1941. It was bombed by the Allies in 1944 and the Germans destroyed as much of the infrastructure as possible when withdrawing late in that year. It was restored quickly to an extent that the Soviets and Yugoslavs used it as a part of the Allied war effort in the closing months of the war. Since then it's been completely rebuilt and expanded in several stages. It handled in excess of 3 million pax and almost 45,000 operations in 2011.

The airport in FSX consists of a single runway, but a long one at over 11,100' X 148'. There's ample ramp space and many buildings, including a custom terminal that's quite large. The runway has ILSs at both ends, the one from the NW a Cat. II.

There are NDBs on both approaches and a VOR/DME nearby. The list of published approaches is small at four. I made this a two-plate diagram to keep the taxiway designators off the main view.

John

9/9/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

7V8 Julesburg Mun - Julesburg, Colorado - US

y4m4el3pW_TjExY0x8heJAL4caJ4h96eshfFfni4

KPIR Pierre Regl - Pierre, South Dakota - US

y4m0ky4aA_5tujE3Vl4iPYXaey4BgKJQROdI6I-v

Updated:

KCRX Turner - Corinth, Mississippi - US (updated)

y4mWDFjMcUdvpRFzRCoGq63F82T-7llLBKQKDTwm

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,399; downloads 1,804

This was a fairly easy set of airports today, with only one having a few custom buildings and none of them requiring a second plate. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.

-----

7V8, Julesburg Mun at Julesburg in the extreme NE corner of Colorado came up as a result of a recent newsletter article about an AirHauler flight that ended up at this airport. Flown in a DC-4, landing on this Spartan 3,700' X 25' runway took some doing. Anyway, it seemed a novel enough place that it deserved a diagram. In the RW the runway appears to have since been widened to about 60' but both FSX and FS9 have it at 25'.

Google Earth shows it looking much like the FSX view, but the runway is clearly wider than 25' in the satellite photo. This airport in FSX has a half-dozen stock buildings and a small ramp and connecting taxiway, which is considerably wider than the runway. There is no fuel pump, but it is lighted and there's an NDB about 9 miles away to aid in finding the place. There are no published approaches.

-----

KPIR is Pierre Regl, in Pierre, South Dakota. This one, of course, comes from the US state capitals list. It has two paved runways, looking a lot like a reversed "7". Both are about 6,800' but one is half again as wide as the other at a generous 150'. There's a very large ramp along most of the length of one runway and a fair number of buildings. Two were custom but they are so small and so close to rectangular that it would be hard to pick out which two on the diagram. It's only a moderately busy place, with the Wiki stats showing about 16,000 pax served and around 32,000 aircraft operations in the best of several recent years.

Like many US airports, the USAAF used this one during WWII. It was an aircraft maintenance and supply depot and it also saw some use as a B-17 training field. Looking in Google Earth, there is a N/S paved runway clearly shown but obviously is abandoned and in disrepair (not even any closed Xs on it in GE) along with the footprints of at least parts of some connecting taxiways and three large but disused parking pads (B-17 size?) at the south end that are no longer connected to anything at all. There's not even a hint of any of that in FSX.

KPIR has one ILS and about eight other published approaches. There's a VOR/DME nearby. Judging from the radio frequency list it does not seem to be a towered field but is lighted.

-----

This is an update day, so our updated airport is KCRX Turner, in Corinth, Mississippi, originally diagrammed in about August of 2009. Simply called "Turner" in FSX, I find that it's really called Roscoe Turner Airport. That makes sense, since ol' Roscoe was born in Corinth MS. Turner was a WWI aviator, a 'tween the wars barnstormer and a three-time Thompson Trophy winner He is famous/infamous for frequently flying with a live lion, Gilmore, who was given to him by one of his sponsors, the Gilmore Oil Company. If nothing else that probably served to limit the number of people who asked him to take them for an airplane ride.

Wiki informs me this is primarily a GA field with around 16,000 annual aircraft operations in a recent year. Only 16 AC are based at Turner airport.

The field has a single 6,500' runway, a full length parallel taxiway and three smallish ramps connected by a simple taxiway network. There is an ILS to one end of the runway and two non-precision approaches available as well. It's lighted but non-towered. The only navaid within 20 NM is an LOM (co-located NDB and Outer Marker) for runway 17.

John

9/10/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

3V5 Ft Collins Downtown - Ft Collins, Colorado - US

y4m_bjtEYZQjzYh_xpBR4DDGyUUSD8xgQNBxrpHU

PKA Napaskiak - Napaskiak, Alaska - US

y4mDUAtd1Gfk2GI5chKTuJUa7eixfjZ9Fk7iiO3t

YSCB Canberra - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory - Australia

y4m9JNM3KdfLBWMRiCMxqVcLf4bzs2N2ixorJXL1

y4mKyFpSW8lHXAkljN-pv1EC0L0IThMrXSmlNcED

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,399; downloads 1,805

I had an error in yesterday's stats. Today's upload total is correct.

I'm engaged in another project involving some special editions of airport diagrams in support of the upcoming Mutley's Hangar Around the World Challenge IV (ATWC IV) and because of that you may see some fluctuations in my normal routine. Two large airports need updates outside their normal turn, EGHI and EHAM - I dread the latter. Anyway, you'll see them soon, out of sequence. I will send those updates to the subscribers and post them to the File Library, but will not do that with the special editions. They will only be useful for participants in the great adventure and if anyone wants those they should get them from the ATWC IV forum links once they are posted.

Besides seeing the two out of sequence updates soon, you may also note that my production rate for new and updated diagrams will probably slip somewhat for a while until I get these "specials" behind me. Hopefully it won't have to slip to zero, but we'll see how it goes.

-----

3V5 is Ft Collins Downtown in Ft. Collins, Colorado and lies at an elevation of almost 5,000' MSL. It is discussed in Wikipedia in the past tense - they report that it was closed in November of 2006, not long after FSX graced the shelves of software shoppes. Google Earth is showing it very unkempt looking with vehicles, painted "closed" Xs, large cracks and a big washed out or excavated hole in the middle of the paved runway. Some hangars appear to be in the process of being torn down and there are footprints where others already have been. Nonetheless, I can spot at least two small GA aircraft parked there - derelicts, or cheaters?

Well, in FSX we get to live in the past, as we were able to do at Meigs Field in FS9 after Mayor Richie Dailey's scurrilous and infamous late night demolition of the runway there. As KCSG lived in FS9, Ft Collins is alive and well in our current little digital world. It has one mile-long but narrow paved runway and a parallel grass strip alongside it about two thirds the length. It's un-towered but lighted and has a large population of buildings, including about a half-dozen custom ones. There's only one approach listed, of the Circle-to-Land VOR variety, which must be a long slog since there's no VOR within 20 NM. There is an NDB about fourteen miles away.

-----

Just when you think you've seen it all in FSX along comes PKA, Napaskiak in Napaskiak, Alaska. I had to get kind of innovative to display the water runway which is a paltry 15,000 X 999 feet. That ought to be big enough to recreate the only flight of Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose, or do a Hudson River-style forced landing with an A380 Whale. I suspect from the data that the runway width field in FSX has a 3-character limit. Anyway, the single gravel runway is only about 3,000 feet and kind of caps the T it forms with the water runway. I ended up using an old drafting technique on 9W/27W, the water runway, and chopped most of the middle of it out of the picture, just leaving the two ends - everything between is pretty unremarkable anyway. Let me know what you think of how I handled that one.

There's only one building on a small ramp at one end of the gravel strip. Non-towered but lighted (the gravel one, of course) it does have good navaids nearby, thanks to being not far south of Bethel. There are four non-precision approaches listed.

Looking at it in GE, the water runway is a chunk of a very wide river (...at least 999' wide, right?) that runs nearby. Wiki says it's the Kuskokwim River, but you already knew that, right?

-----

Last up is YSCB, Canberra airport in the city of the same name, which happens to be in the Australian Capital Territory. I assume the Australian Capital Territory is roughly the equivalent of our District of Columbia, where Washington is located.

Wiki calls it Canberra International Airport, which is most likely correct, but FSX satisfies itself merely with "Canberra". Canberra is, of course, Australia's capital and it was Down Under's turn to be taken from my randomized national capitals list today.

It's been an airport since sometime in the '20s. In 1939 the RAAF took ownership but permitted an area for non-military use too. The Wiki article tells the story of the "Canberra air disaster" of 1940, which I'll leave for you to find and read if you care to.

There's a large area at the NE corner of the airport that still is an RAAF base now known as Defense Establishment Fairbairn (named for one of the fatalities in the aforementioned Canberra air disaster) that is used by the RAAF. Though the GE view doesn't reveal any obviously military AC types parked there, it's clearly a military establishment if you know what to look for - the golf course alone would have been a dead giveaway. That portion of the field is shown in the FSX airport but mainly only the ramp and about four large hangars.

YSCB has a pair of crossing runways, the largest about 8,800 X 150, more or less. The civil side has a complex terminal with five or six jetways and several other buildings, including some custom ones. There is one ILS. I'm going to have to re-visit and re-send/re-post this one, since I just noticed that I omitted the approaches list. (I've got to put together a checklist.) Though the airport lies fairly close to the coast, the field elevation is a surprising 1,886' MSL.

Of the three airports today, this is the only one that required two plates, entirely to enable legible labeling of the taxiways outside the main image.

John

9/11/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KIND Indianapolis Intl - Indianapolis, Indiana - US

y4mf68z4h3TB5pfVj3z0hwUrM9VjDarFxtQGaYSW

y4mlzu2KuJifXap1rSYjk-JljClxa1pnSJV-tlTE

y4mO-iEbpNJ9MN11eMZfC1vrEd9Kt-iqYJOMpSAN

Updated:

EGHI Southampton Intl - Southampton, UK (updated)

y4m3nY-wYtnu7w1H2ttAndcM412Lh5wgRrDTsqJ5

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,400; downloads 1,805

I guess we've reached a milestone here, with 1,400 airports diagrammed.

As I noted yesterday, I'm involved in the preparation of a series of special airport diagrams in support of the Mutley's Hangar ATWC and that cut into my production on these today. I have one update and only one new one, though the new one was a fairly tough customer to diagram.

-----

The only new airport today is Indianapolis Intl (KIND), in Indianapolis, Indiana, which I've been to on the ground. It's a pretty major airport of the kind that makes it difficult to get a good, clean diagram.

Wiki reports this as the largest airport in Indiana. FedEx has a large hub there, their second-largest, trailing only their main base in Memphis TN. As cargo operations go, it's 8th largest in the US and 22nd largest in the world with over 2.2 billion - with a B - lbs. of cargo handled in a single year. KIND is no piker in the pax business either, handling over 7.5 million annually. Aircraft operations per year approach 200,000.

The airport layout is that "blocky" kind, with the three operable runways in a hollow 3-sided square. The three closed runways appear to be the remains of a single former runway since they lie all in a line. Their numbering is very odd, 4/22, N/S and 4C/22C. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to that but it's a no-never-mind anyway because all three are marked closed. Those chunks of former runway show too in Google Earth and most parts of them are marked with yellow Xs but it appears that certain parts are also used as parking ramps of some kind. I should be thankful that FSX didn't include all that detail too. Google Earth also reveals a large new terminal in the vast open area between 5L/23R and 5R/23L. It's too much to ask airport authorities to leave that much open space undeveloped for long. That detail aside, the GE view matches what I see in FSX pretty well.

The longest runway is almost 11,200 feet and there are ILSs to both ends of all three of the operating runways, two of them Cat. IIIs. There are LOMs for four of the instrument runways and a VOR/DME nearby. All in all, you'd have to consider this a pretty major airport. I had to use three plates for this one - the taxiway labeling accounted for one and the large amount of text data another, besides the main view.

-----

Doing mixed duty today, I updated EGHI, Southampton Intl, in Southampton, England. This is home base for Mutley's Hangar, not least because Joe Lawford lives nearby. It is also the starting and ending airport for the three prior and the upcoming Mutley's Hangar Around the World Challenge (ATWC). The airport diagram for this airport was not the one due for an update today based on it's vintage, but since it plays a role in the ATWC I wanted to get it up to current standards. EHAM in Amsterdam will get the same treatment in the next few days.

Southampton is a relatively major pax operation, serving over 1-3/4 million in 2011, one of the busiest in the UK and close enough to the London mega-tropolis to relieve some of the strain on the airports there.

Built on the site of Roman ruins, Southampton's aviation beginnings go back to about 1910. It saw an American Naval Aviation (yes, you read that right) presence toward the end of WWI, with up to 4,000 personnel there. After WWI, for a time the hangars became temporary refugee quarters for large numbers of displaced Europeans bound for America.

By 1932 it had become an airport again, with some of the space used by the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm. In WWII, the airport was mainly a training field. Supermarine had a factory at the field and because of that Southampton Intl's history is intertwined with that of the legendary Spitfire, with the first test flight of the first prototype, K5054 performed there in 1936.

This is a single-runway airport, with a modest 5,600 foot runway, but certainly a busy one. There are only two taxiway entrances to the runway, one at the south end and one mid-field. Arrivals from the south have to stop pretty short or turn around and back-taxi. Departures to the south have to enter the runway at the midpoint and taxi to the north end and turn around before taking off. It doesn't look terribly efficient, but they manage something like 45,000 operations per year, so they make it work.

There are a VOR/DME and an NDB on the field and an ILS for one end.

-----

John

9/13/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

SDAS Fazenda Santo Antonio 4 - Fazenda Santo Antonio 4, Brazil

y4m9XDtCouFHPYo_tAggrQ32g1ZmAF-zPBpB_xHY

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,400; downloads 1,805

-----

I only have one airport diagram for you today, but tomorrow should be more productive. I was busy yesterday and today with ATWC IV diagrams and other related projects, so didn't get much opportunity to work my lists. When I finally did, tonight, this is the one that emerged, which is hardly worth getting our shorts in a knot over. I'm caught up with what the ATWC IV gurus have sent me so far so will get back to a normal routine until I get some more work from them.

SDAS Fazenda Santo Antonio 4 - yes, according to FSX, that's the name of both the city and the airport - is in Brazil, and it's the next airport that was due to fall out of my lists. There's not much to say about it. Wiki has no listing for it at all and Google Earth shows it but there's not much there. It's a simple asphalt strip about 4,200' long and pretty narrow at 45'. GE shows a kind of apron at the SW end but that's not shown in FSX. It literally has nothing else in FSX - no radio frequencies, lights, navaids, fuel pump or published approaches. If the runway were not paved I'd have bypassed it. At least I didn't have to zip it.

-----

John

9/14/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

KUES Waukesha Co - Waukesha, Wisconsin - US

y4m2rdxLNYF9RnrFWbli8nca8dVgDnGBz3jhW5bb

y4mdduPtW_osp4S5szhOQXIf2fuAUs2fy6rmPYzQ

TAPA V C Bird Intl - St Johns, Antigua and Barbuda

y4mrbRLr54U3mpOOhZpzR2o4xUYTX_ahMIuu_rxJ

KBNA Nashville Intl - Nashville, Tennessee - US

y4mCMRBIdXnTK4cVsyL-hcQscXv-dkhg_hfOffna

y4mO8kCvmgE8KPhW1WuLUMDGqdEsaAYSbzGeEs9p

y4mV2cMdxVXRjAK6O2WQxkbXHtMu1Cy2iC6BMkC2

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,404; downloads 1,806

-----

Waukesha Co airport in Waukesha, Wisconsin is just to the west of the city of Milwaukee. Wiki doesn't offer much information beyond the basic stats. It had 91,000 operations in a year.

Google Earth shows pretty much what's in FSX. This is a medium sized airport with two paved runways, one about 5,800' X 100' and the other considerably smaller. It has enough of a taxiway network that a second plate was called for to label them while keeping the main view "clean". It's obviously a GA field with a lot of T-Hangars at the SE corner. KUES is lighted and towered. There is an ILS to one end of the larger runway. An NDB lies on the field and there's a VOR/DME not far away. There are three published approaches in FSX, the ILS, a Circle-to-Land VOR A and an NDB approach.

-----

TAPA is V C Bird Intl, in St Johns, Antigua and Barbuda. It's in the Windward group in the West Indies. This one comes off the national capitals list I'm using and St. Johns is the capital of the country of Antigua and Barbuda. The airport was established and operated by the US Army initially. It became a civil airport after the closure of the military operation, which by that time (1949) had become Coolidge AFB. It is named for the first Prime Minister of the country.

It is listed as an international and has a runway just a few feet sort of 9,000' long X about 150'. There's a good sized ramp on taxiway stubs off the runway, but no parallel taxiway system. A large parking ramp at the NE corner appears to have formerly been a runway but it's shown as a closed taxiway/apron area in FSX and is not listed in the runway table at all. In Google Earth that area is marked with Xs but is also clearly in use as a busy parking area. I guess the Xs are only to warn against landing on it, not closed to taxiing aircraft.

As you might expect, it's towered and lighted with good navaids on the field. There is no ILS but there are a half-dozen non-precision approaches for this airport in FSX.

This was the only one of the three I did today that didn't require additional plates.

-----

If there's going to be a tough one in the group I'd rather have it come out of the hat first than last, but that's not the way it went down today. The third airport to fall out of my list system was KBNA, Nashville Intl, in Nashville, Tennessee. A look at the Google Earth shot shows a number of big jets with purple tails. FedEx is a big player there and has a 70,000 square foot facility. Wiki lists this airport as handling about 9-1/2 million pax and 87,000 tons of cargo in a year. They list it as 35th busiest in the US. Besides handling a robust passenger and cargo traffic, the Air National Guard has a base there housing an airlift wing. The military operation is at the SE corner and the GE shot shows three Herky-birds parked there.

Construction of this airport began in 1936 as a WPA project, to replace smaller, earlier airfields in the area. In WWII the Army AF Air Transport Command took it over and it was a ferrying hub for moving newly built aircraft overseas during the war.

KBNA boasts four runways, three of them a parallel set of 2/20s. I didn't note any significant layout differences or big additions in GE that weren't in FSX. The longest runway, 2L/20R is over 11,000 feet X 150. There are ILSs to six of the eight thresholds, one a Cat. III and another a Cat. II. There's a very long list of published approaches in FSX for KBNA. Two of the runways have LOMs and there's a VOR/DME on the field.

I ended up having to use three plates to document this one and count myself lucky to have kept it at that. The taxiways are dense enough in the central area to the south of the main pax terminal that I very nearly needed to break that out into yet another plate for clarity. I think it's OK as is, but it's pretty "busy" in that one area. The third plate was for the text data. Even though I got most of it on the first plate, there's no way that long list of radio frequencies was going to fit in that view.

-----

No further ATWC IV work has darkened my door so I expect that tomorrow will be another normal production day, but one never knows what will end up dropped into the Dropbox.

John

9/15/12 Airport Diagrams

New:

7A9 Peterson - Plains, Georgia - US

y4mdkAuicIvnAGlHdwnxIRuhU7w7qkXQAY9SEg9I

KMGW Morgantown Mun-Hart - Morgantown, West Virginia - US

y4mfBVDstmDneiJKVLencPeJcj3p1J5SmY4nga8p

Updated:

KTOI Troy Mun - Troy, Alabama - US (updated)

y4mgEr1JR1ZwoTvw9PRL_JWAoiTmbOP9uzsXTDVg

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 1,406; downloads 1,820

There's been a bit of a download spike at the MH File Library - 14 in the last 24 hours. I can see at least four downloaders, mostly newly registered members. Glad to see them - have at 'em, boys.

All three airports today are in the US, but that was just the luck of the draw, not intentional. All three were relatively easy to diagram with no custom buildings to bring in and no additional plates required for any of them. Sometimes things just work out.

-----

7A9, Peterson, in Plains, Georgia (why does mention of that town raise the little hairs on the back of my neck?) is a one-strip grass airport but has some features in FSX that makes its inclusion worth while. Wiki has the thinnest of articles on it, just stats, really. It reports about 2,200 operations per year at the field.

The Google Earth view is very consistent with what's in FSX, including the relative size and placement of the two buildings. In FSX there's no fuel pump, but it shows as lighted. The grass runway is about 3,200' X a very generous 230', making it appear shorter than it is. There's a large grass ramp at the south end, butted up to the runway.

7A9 has one published approach, a Circle-to-Land VOR B. There's an NDB in the middle distance, to the east.

-----

The updated airport today is KTOI, Troy Mun, in Troy, Alabama. I have to say that for the first time, looking at the older version, it didn't make me shudder. It wasn't quite up to today's standards but wasn't too bad. Can it be that I've got the worst of the old ones weeded out?

KTOI, under a different name, came into existence in 1942 as an Auxiliary field to Maxwell Field (now Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL). Basic training in Fairchild PT-19s was conducted there during WWII and the place was turned over to civilian use post-war.

Current stats show about 70,000 operations per year. Interestingly, the tower and radar facilities are run by Army Air Traffic Controllers - here's the reason - the field is, "... dominated by student pilots flying TH-67 helicopters from Fort Rucker...".

This is a good sized, full featured airport with a pair of crossing runways, each about 5,000' long. It has a good taxiway network including full-length parallel taxiways for both runways. There's an ILS on one end of one runway and a single non-precision approach as well. It's lighted and there's an LOM out on the approach to Runway 7, the ILS runway. In FSX there are four helipads shown in mid-field.

-----

Last on the list today is KMGW Morgantown Mun-Hart, at Morgantown, West Virginia. Wiki tells me that it had about 11,000 pax boarding's in a recent year, and over 43,000 operations, mostly GA. The airport has two crossing runways, one much larger than the other at 5,200 X 150. The GE images shows that what is now taxiway C was once a runway and there's a good sized chunk of it remaining in existence to the east of runway 5/23. That portion is marked with closed Xs in the RW but is not shown in the FSX airport.

This is a towered field, lighted and with a single ILS approach to one end of the big runway. There are four other approaches listed, one of which is a VOR A, for Circle-to-Land operations. There is an NDB out on the approach path to runway 18, very close to but not quite on the Outer Marker. It missed a chance to be an LOM by less than a mile - both pieces are there but just not quite co-located.

-----

John