Sign in to follow this  
jankees

A2A P-51D

Ah, good to hear!

OK, in that case I continue:

ss3529.jpg

P-51D-10-NA 44-13980 D7-Z "Shy Ann" as flown by Lt. Jerry P Bush of the 503rd FS/ 339th FG. The aircraft was reassigned to Capt. Edward Beavers when Lt. Bush completed his tour. It was lost on 28 September 1944 when Lt. Paul W Frickel became a POW

ss3512.jpg

ss3545.jpg

P-51D-15-NA 44-14068 CG-C "The Worry Bird" was the assigned aircraft of Capt. Merle M Coons of the 38th FD/ 55th FG. After Capt. Coons completed his tour, the aircraft was assigned to Lt. Alfred E. Carr, who named it "Little Joe".

Some of these nose art names you can guess what they refer to but I wonder how The Worry Bird got it's name. Was Capt Coons a worry wart or was the plane one of those that always came up with mechanical problems? Doing some digging though it might have to do with a story about a fictional bird that would sit on a perch and listen to everyone else's problems all day. I did find a RW pic of this AC here. Thanks for the history :D

to be honest, I have no idea...

ss3564.jpg

P-51D-15-NA 44-14121 CL-Z was the assigned aircraft of Capt Darrel S.Cramer, from Ogden in Utah. He had done a tour with the 339th FS/ 347th FG in the Pacific, where he claimed two victories.He joined the 338th FS/ 55th FG in july 1944 and flew with them till february 1945, after which he served with HQ. He claimed 5.5 Bf109's and 1 FW190 in the air. I can only assume he had some Irish blood?

ss3579.jpg

P-51D-15-NA 44-14140 CY-O "Wings o'Morning" was one of the aircraft flown by Captain Robert E. Welch of the 343rd FS/ 55th FG. During his tour with the 55th FG, he claimed 7 german destroyed in the air and 11 on the ground, hence the 18 victory markings on the nose. The aircraft had previously been assigned to 1/Lt. Ernest E. Leon and Lt. Richard D. Bartlett, who named it.

Flight Lieutenant Jack Cleland was a pilot of the RNZAF who was posted to the 357th FG as an exchange pilot for a couple of months during 1944.

While with the 357th he flew a camouflaged P-51D, 44-13573, with registration B6-V, and which he named Isabel III.
More on Jack Cleland can be found here

ss4976.jpg

ss4977.jpg

ss4982.jpg

I like the paint and also the banner picture of Jack Cleland. He cut quite the dashing figure. :) Was that a standard issue mustache for pilots during that period of time? :D

ss7897.jpg

ss7908.jpg

P-51D-10-NA 44-14804 was first named “El Gato” by Capt. Maurice Morrison and later “Honey Bee II” byLt. Harold Miller. This was the only P-51 to fly as SX-R between October 1944 and the end of the war. It logged 84 missions with 32 different pilots (31 with Morrison and 5 with Miller). Morrison named the aircraft “El Gato” (Spanish for The Cat) after returning eight times either badly shot up or after another worrying experience. When he was assigned a P-51 he felt he was on his ninth life.

Good to see you still working on this fantastic aircraft, I like the D7 series  :thum:

Hardluck Jr. :D  You can make up the stories in your mind about how the name came about.

Nice work JK. :thum:

another request for a 339th Mustang:

ss20085.jpg

ss20112.jpg

ss20125.jpg

P-51D 44-15039 6N-J "Pistol Packin'Mama" as flown by Capt. Evan M "Johnny" Johnson V, of Pueblo, CO, who flew with the 505th Fighter Squadron, 339th Fighter Group, from Fowlmere, UK.