hurricanemk1c

Guess the Aircraft

J G    731

It looks like a between the wars radial engine aircraft, civilian, I have seen it somewhere and I just cant bring it to mind.

Ill get back to you.

Captain Coffee    1,577

I suspect it is a toy maker's version of his ideal of what a biplane looks like. I suspect they may have seen many pictures of planes from the racing era that the BeeGee racer comes from...the cockpit looks right up against the vertical stabilizer, a common look of that vintage. John's observations about the radial engine having the wrong number of cylinders makes me think the artist may not even have directly designed from actual pictures,  but from recollections of pictures they had seen. Like, I as an artist can draw a fairly convincing representation of a blimp or zeppelin because I have drawn many of them before, but if you put one of my sketches on a forum and asked folks to ID the maker of the blimp that inspired it...it would be anyone's guess.

/2 cents from an artist perspective.

Edited by Captain Coffee

J G    731

It was the BeeGee that I had in mind, Back to scratching my head, but it feels like it is, as Matt says, a toy makers impression of what a racing biplane should look like.

brett    1,686

Wonder what happed to the OP, hasn't been back since he first posted. Hope all is well by him.:)

• Like 1

sixa    1

Wow guys I'm impressed. I thought nobody would want to respond for that. And here it is, such a great discussion. This is very helpful what you all have written since this question was asked by my boss and I couldn't answer what plane it was. 

Now I know much more thanks to you. Thanks !

• Like 1

allardjd    1,309

I don't think that's it - on the model the cylinders are exposed, the wings are of equal length and the wing struts are vertical.  On the Polikarpov the cylinders are completely shrouded, the lower wing is much shorter than the upper and the wing struts seem to be canted outward at the top by quite a bit.

John

• Like 1

dodgy-alan    1,150
46 minutes ago, allardjd said:

I don't think that's it - on the model the cylinders are exposed, the wings are of equal length and the wing struts are vertical.  On the Polikarpov the cylinders are completely shrouded, the lower wing is much shorter than the upper and the wing struts seem to be canted outward at the top by quite a bit.

John

The I-15 seems to have several variations, so it's possible was based loosely on one, however, it could well be just a generic "Biplane" possibly made for a presentation piece etc. It is very crude by any standards.

• Like 1

J G    731

I am fairly sure that it is only a toy, not modelled on a specific aircraft.

It is reminiscent of some of the caricature aircraft that Alan has made.   

mutley    2,980

Bump!

This one may have featured previously, any ideas?

gtac.jpg