Sign in to follow this  
jankees

Catalina PBY

I visited the rebuilt Swedish Air Force museum earlier this summer, and one of the main exhibits centers around the so-called 'Catalina affair', where an unarmed Catalina rescue plane was looking for a military Swedish DC-3 that had disappeared between Gotland and Estonia. It was attacked by Russian Migs and shot down. Much much later, it was discovered that the DC-3 had been shot down too. The wreckage of the DC-3 was recently discovered, recovered and is currently on display in the museum, as is one of the remaining PBY's (Sweden had three).

I have done a few repaints for the Aerosoft Catalina, but not yet the Swedish version...

FX4585.jpg

FX4583.jpg

FX4587.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work JanKees, simple but effective.

That poor DC3 is in a bit of a state but still pretty recognisable.

Cheers

Simple yes, but still..

I was wondering about that tail number, as Sweden had only three PBY's.

Sweden called the PBY the TP47, so maybe 47, 48 and 49?

The one in the museum has a 49, but I was looking at older pics of the museum, when the PBY was still outside, and saw that the aircraft next to it had 50 and 51 on their tails..

so, probably a museum serial.

Luckily, persistent searching unearthed a swedish site with some old pictures of #01. That is the one in the museum.

#47002 was shot down by the russians on 16 june 1952 (the Catalina Affair), while #47003 was used for parts for #47001, (which was used until 1966) and finally scrapped at the end of the '60s.

So I decided to paint #02:

FX4588.jpg

FX4592.jpg

The detective work is the best part of the fun I think. Painting comes second, and packaging & uploading comes last for me...

But I still do it, you can now find this paint here, I hope you'll give it a try, the bare metal looks really nice in the sim I feel.

FX4591.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great jankees..

And beeing a swede, it's always nice to see a repaint of a swedish plane..

As for the real life original luckily the crew survived the crash if I remember correctly, unlike the poor souls on the DC-3.

It's been a while since I did anything with the Catalina it seems...

Here's NZ4020 XX-W 'The Wandering Witch" of the RNZAF:

ss3761_zps51496473.jpg

ss3765_zpsd08f9cb6.jpg

ss3768_zps2096a7cb.jpg

Oh what a beauty. It would be nice to use this repaint for some legs of my transpacific flight with the Cat.

no problem, just go here

jk2198.jpg

C-FPQK, which is an Canadian-Vickers PBV-1A Canso A (A Canadian-built PBY-5A Catalina) that is owned by the Fondation Aérovision Québec, based in Saint Hubert, Québec, Canada. Originally c/n 9830, it was built in 1942. It flew with the RCAF between 1943 and 1961, before going to the Dept. of Transport & Communications of Québec as CF-PQK. It flew as tanker #12, later #712, for the Government of Quebec as C-FPQK until 1994, when it was donated to the Fondation Aérovision Québec.

jk2199.jpg

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/5921-aerosoft-pby-5a-c-fpqk-québec/

jk2200.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tom and welcome.:)

I believe the site where he uploads his repaints is down right now due to a hack and is having technical problems. I would recommend sending him a private message if he doesn't catch your post here, the PM can be made easily by hovering your cursor over his avatar above and then clicking on the Message icon. Good luck. 

Edited by brett

8 hours ago, Antonov2256 said:

@brett Thanks just sent a private message

I'm currently on my way to one of the more remote parts of Australia, so I fear you'll have to be patient. Back in about a week

JK

• Like 2