No, not this awful bug that's going around but a Beaufighter Mk21 of 93 Sqn RAAF. Finished yesterday, This is a repop of the old FROG kit from the 60s, It has a scratch built cockpit interior and a few other minor tweaks, plus a set of decals from Ropos.  Thanks for viewing.

uIH4dxn.jpg?1

XauJTrV.jpg

Rlzg6EX.jpg

SIl84Yt.jpg

kXAHgwM.jpg

jlK4llI.jpg

0yoOmbn.jpg

Tt6n49a.jpg

VkGEQob.jpg

2xMFjVL.jpg?1

• Like 1

Nice one Alan.

I have a Hurricane and Spit Airfix models to make up... courtesy of santa, though not sure i will get them looking as good as yours

:thum:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hlminx said:

Nice one Alan.

I have a Hurricane and Spit Airfix models to make up... courtesy of santa, though not sure i will get them looking as good as yours

:thum:

Hi Steph, I don't know how experienced a modellr you are, but may I offer you a few tips.  Just take your time with them, test every joint before gluing anything, use a liquid poly cement rather than the tube stuff.  Depending on what sort of paint you intend to use you may need to prime the assembled model before painting. Enamels are usually ok to apply direct but acrylics generally need an undercoat. Allow the layer of paint to dry thoroughly before applying the next coat. I would also advise washing the parts on their sprues in warm (but not hot) soapy water to remove any release agents from the plastic, then also wash your hands to remove any grease or sweat from them as this can have a detrimental effect to paint adhesion before beginning to tackle the model, and certainly before applying paint. If you have warped parts, they can be straightened by leaving in hot water for a few minutes to soften the plastic then very carefully pushing back into shape.  When painting I tend to start with things like canopy frames etc first as that way you can still handle model reasonably well rather than try and do it with a paint soaked model . Start with the lighter colours first, give a couple of coats at least to get the colour depth, then when that is dry lay the darker colour over it. Weathering can be as subtle as you like depending on what sort of setting your model is to be depicted in.  In Europe aircraft were used heavily and became scratched around access panels and wing roots etc. They also got fairly dirty and I tend to use a very dark brown water based wash over the whole thing to bring out things like panel lines etc.  you can also add things like exhaust staining and soot marks around the gun muzzles etc. (I do mine by rubbing an HB pencil over a nail file board and then use the resulting black carbon applied with a cotton bud!) When applying decals, gloss the surface the decal needs to go on first with clear cote, this stops the edges of the decal from "silvering". I also use Micro Set and Micro Sol to make sure the decals bed down properly, especially on curved surfaces etc. When the decals are dry give them another coat of clear-cote to seal them. then apply the matt finish over the top.  Hope this helps, and apologies if you already know all this. 

• Like 2

Alan, you are a master.... i am but the novice!

Thanks for the expert recommendations. Not sure i'll get everything A1 but i'll post some pics

Airfix kits were around when i was a young sprout and i had all sorts hanging from my ceiling when i was young until the drawing pins weren't able to keep them anchored in the artex! [I think the 747-400 was the breaking point]

I hope that i make a better job of these 2 models..

Got to say, that even though the Spit was the 'icon'.. i have a very soft spot for the Hurricane.. I managed to get a signed pic by Molly Rose, Joy Lofthouse, Mary Wilkins and Margaret Frost of my favourite WW2 aircraft, and i'd like to do a good job with it.

xx

• Like 3