Jump to content
BrianT

FSX Situation Files

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or are the FSX situation files only downloading the test files?


Regards

Brian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brian, 

If you download the .zip file it contains all the flight legs for MEBAR.

If you then extract the files to your FSX documents folder (on your C: \ drive), you can then load each leg into FSX from there.

Good luck.

 Brian aka Needles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Brian,

 

trouble was when I downloaded them all that was in there was the test file. I've just tried again and now it's the correct situation files.

 

all the best Brian aka "the other Brian" :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BrianT the links were wrong for about 10 minutes, you were very quick off the mark!

 

Everything should be in place now.:hat:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mutley said:

@BrianT the links were wrong for about 10 minutes, you were very quick off the mark!

 

Everything should be in place now.:hat:

My wife has mentioned it in the past!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Ive registered and done the test flight. I've downloaded the flight files into my fsx:se documents folder. Upon opening them, I'm at an airport specified in the flight schedule in a running C172. but no navplan or anything like that. Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds correct Tobus.

 

You will need to manually swap into your chosen aircraft, and do you own route planning. The Flight plan won't load automatically or it would be a non challenging GPS button race. :P

That is the MEBAR challenge, to plan the MEBAR crew's chosen route based on the VOR/NDB/Airfield descriptions in the "MEBAR 2017 Event & Flight Briefings" downloadable pdf file....and nail as close as possible to the Target Time based on your Test Flight speed...HINT (big hint)...choose a VERY VERY conservative cruise speed during the test flight, there will be headwinds forcing you to push the throttles forward...aim to give yourself a comfortable margin away from the Overheat point so that you can maintain your Average Ground Speed :hat:

 

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2017 at 04:35, BrianT said:

My wife has mentioned it in the past!

 

How did I miss this post...OMFG, my belly hurts. Awesome post. Welcome to Mutleys, please stick around. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Captain Coffee said:

 

How did I miss this post...OMFG, my belly hurts. Awesome post. Welcome to Mutleys, please stick around. :)

hey I'm going nowhere..... something else she's mentioned once or twice! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Coffee said:

That sounds correct Tobus.

 

You will need to manually swap into your chosen aircraft, and do you own route planning. The Flight plan won't load automatically or it would be a non challenging GPS button race. :P

That is the MEBAR challenge, to plan the MEBAR crew's chosen route based on the VOR/NDB/Airfield descriptions in the "MEBAR 2017 Event & Flight Briefings" downloadable pdf file....and nail as close as possible to the Target Time based on your Test Flight speed...HINT (big hint)...choose a VERY VERY conservative cruise speed during the test flight, there will be headwinds forcing you to push the throttles forward...aim to give yourself a comfortable margin away from the Overheat point so that you can maintain your Average Ground Speed :hat:

 

I thought as much. I guess same about weather too. I'll check the file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will do fine Tobus, take the time to read all the documents and use PlanG for you flightplanner before the flight. PlanG is a great tool to find the intersects between the VOR's and NDB's as a backup to following your instruments and don't forget to add in the weather information provided for the altitudes you will be flying. Your test flight times will be used to figure out your leg times and will include climb, cruise, descent and pattern times based off your aircraft specs. Good luck and most of all have fun.:) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that the weather file loaded with the flight. I did not modify the weather settings in the sim after loading up the MEBAR leg 1 file, yet on Leg #1 I encountered stiff and variable wind conditions that varied with location and altitude, matching reasonably to what I expected from the weather briefings. In hindsight I wish I had seen the wind forecasts for leg one Before doing my flight test...I jumped the gun early before the leg plans were released... that made me regret my flight test power settings even though I thought I was being conservative during it. :( When I could I flew low and goosed it to compensate for the loss of speed at altitude...kind of trying to dead reckon with the clock how long to goose vs how long I chugged along against sub zero winds up to 40+ kts :mellow:...Chili...and brisk.

Edited by Captain Coffee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed that my winds were ok but clouds were not. No matter. I just entered it manually into AS2016 with a 500nm radius from departure field. Better safe than sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×