Sign in to follow this  
CAT3508

VirtualFly TQ6

Hi Guys,

Have been looking at purchasing the TQ6 from the above mentioned company. It seems to be well constructed (all metal) with decent lever actuation, via a gear train to the pots, and they are also tension-able, to suit your self. They are a bit on the expensive side, but I suppose you pay for what you get.  Does anyone on site, have one, and if so, what is your opinion. They look ideal for the Majestic Dash 8, and the King Air, and are supposedly usable for jets as well.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil, I don't have it myself but solid metal construction certainly is a plus. It hasn't been around long enough to gage how long it will last compared to less expensive plastic models so hard to say if it will last the distance, on the plus side the company does give it a one year warranty and does sell replacement parts such as the pots. The only real downside I can see is you will not be able to use it for four engine aircraft as easily because you can't remove the knobs or use two units side by side like you can with other products. The plus side is the company make good products with the best materials but you have to pay for that plus. Make sure you have the room for it on your desk because it looks rather big. 

If I had the bucks I would probably get it and pair it with their yoke along with the MFG Crosswind pedals.:D

Holy cow!  They're pretty proud of that thing - 541 Euros!!!

You can get a pair of 3-lever Saiteks or a CH 6-lever for about $120, so could wear out four sets of them and still be money ahead over the VirtualFly item.  What does it do that makes it worth 4+ times the price of the competition?

John

EDIT:  From their product page...

Two holding types: through hollows in the platform base or with double position sergeant.

Does anyone know what that means?

JDA

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply. I actually bit the bullet last night and ordered it ( Just over $900 Aus.) including postage. I am not really into 4 engine flying, so that's not really a concern.

The unit itself is 226 mm wide, which wont be a problem, as it will fit onto my present setup.

Cheers,

Neil

50 minutes ago, allardjd said:

EDIT:  From their product page...

Two holding types: through hollows in the platform base or with double position sergeant.

Does anyone know what that means?

Not a clue John, it shows a regular desk clamping device (maybe has two positions) and also might have the ability to unscrew the base and attach using screws but that is just guessing. Hopefully Neil can answer that when it is delivered.:)

I couldn't get the shipping calculator to work for me on the site to see how much that would be just for the heck of it. It sounds like it would be very expensive because the unit was only around $575. and Neil is paying close to 900. Was a bit surprised at the lack of information on the site for such an expensive item. The tech download only gave dimensions. I do like the long throw of the handles on the unit, I would think it will give very nice precise inputs to the engines.  

My question was rhetorical, Brett - it's not likely I'll ever need to know, at those prices.  

The 541 Euros list price converted to Oz dollars at the current exchange rate ought to come out to around 775 AUD, so it sounds like CAT3508 got nicked for around $125 AUD for tax and shipping.  Ouch.

John

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

The cost including postage was 636 euros ( $903 Aus) and as I paid through PayPal they slugged me another ($44 Aus.) !!!!.  The price of living so far away from anywhere.

I will not be using the clamp, as I have a homemade side console for the throttle and 5 Go-Flight radios, which I shall soon be removing, as I have a JetMax  NAVCOMM1 unit ordered. Possibly also getting their XPNDR unit as well. Was going to send an image of my console, but I cant seem to get it to work.

Cheers,

Neil   

Edited by CAT3508
  • Like 1

Sounds like a nice setup.  I hope the new piece fits in and works well.  Consider posting a photo of the whole rig here once you have the new unit mounted.

John

Hi John,

Could you give me a quick run down on inserting an image. I can see the tag on the bottom right saying " Insert other media", and by clicking it ,it then shows "insert existing image". or Insert image from URL. I tried both ways, not really knowing what I am doing, nothing worked. I am just trying to put in a simple jpg picture. 

Thanks,

Neil

Try here for a quick tutorial by the boss..

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php?/topic/22019-virtualfly-tq6/#comment-166221

Also, since that was written, Mutley has established an on-line photo hosting site of his own, FS Snaps, available here.  You don't have to use Photobucket or one of the others - you can use the MH Host site.  Bear that in mind as you read through the tutorial.

http://fs-snaps.com/

John

• Like 1