Sign in to follow this  
J G

Airlander 10 maiden flight

Is it a balloon? Is it a Plane? No it is a hybrid of both, apparently.  

It looks like a Siamese twin Zeplin to me.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-37111527

Edit: It looks a bit Arthur Frampton from the back to me! (Monty Python: The man with three buttocks)

Edited by J G

Very cool looking in a blob-ish way.

I looked up some specs: 7,000 lb payload and about a 90kt max speed, 5 days endurance manned, 21 days unmanned...what is this behemoths role to be? Observation craft? Unmanned billboard that flies itself for 2/3 of a month?

A bit more poking around revealed:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/8/5880061/airlander-10-photo-essay

Originally designed as a surveillance and reconnaissance craft for the US Army’s Long Endurance Multi-intelligence Vehicle program, the Airlander was intended to remain in the sky for up to 21 days while carrying 2,500 pounds of communications and sensor equipment. It took its maiden flight in the summer of 2012, however budget cutbacks and project delays eventually deprived the ship of its funding and left it in limbo until the original designers at Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV) bought it back late last year. They spent $301,000 to acquire the prototype, which was the linchpin of an investment of over $154 million from the Army.

What started life as a US Army project is turning to more peaceful tasks like covering sports

Now back in its British homeland, that same Airlander that flew two years ago is preparing to do it all over again, only with a reduced maximum flight time of five days and an increased payload of over 20,000 pounds. Its designers’ new aim is to substitute planes on short-haul cargo flights as well as helicopters for specific purposes like sports broadcasts and even police surveillance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose they have a plan to make this pay, but surely a diesel truck can carry 20k cargo cheaper and with less investment/overhead than this thing?

And does it make sense to deploy this to film a sporting event as opposed to a chopper, which although maintenance heavy, are easier and faster to dispatch, far more nimble, and cheaper and store? The hangar costs to store this thing would probably negate any fuel savings if any.

Government surveillance ...sure, that would make more sense. It could carry sensitive cameras slowly over targets and probably be a great stable platform for the job.

My /2cents bets it will be the later role it gets used most for.

Edited by Captain Coffee

sorry but I cant see the point.....its a floating blob.....I wont be investing, I'm out!!!

• Like 1

I agree.  Another failure to discern the difference between what is technically possible and economically feasible.

John

• Like 1

After an unplanned bump and grind... Airlander... ( And it clearly says AIRLANDER on the side...not GROUNDLANDER...).. Is no longer a virgin.

And because I can't resist another... It looks like it popped its cockpit.

Edited by Captain Coffee

I would tell you that your post cracked me up but that would only encourage you.^_^

Hope the crew is ok. (Ouch)

• Like 1

Yeah...i heard everyone inside was fine thankfully.

I'm sure that "landing" looked a lot faster from inside the cockpit, accompanied by many "Oh Shits" no doubt...but not exactly Ramming Speeds involved there. :D

2 hours ago, Captain Coffee said:

but not exactly Ramming Speeds involved there.

Lots of inertia though.  I wonder if they're starting to realize that thing may not be practical after all.  

Imagine that in a brisk wind.

John

• Like 1

Oh the shame of it. 

I wonder who showed their face first. 

'You go first'

'No, you're the Captain' 

'Then I order you out first'

'Oh Bugger it' 

:th_blush::whis:

• Like 1

All that money for something that will probably end up filming golf tournaments,(The project cost around $154 million and was sold back to HAV for around $300,000.)  silly government. ^_^ 

The version of the Airliner that I used in my novels was several times bigger and filled with hydrogen (on the basis that there's no helium left by the 23rd century). Come to think of it, that didn't end too well either!

• Like 3

Good thing it didn't feel like getting airborne again after bouncing off the ground..

Looking at the state of the flight deck I seriously doubt they had any functioning controls left to work with!!

• Like 1

I would think they would have an emergency blow hole in the back end to keep it grounded.:huh:

7 hours ago, stu7708 said:

Good thing it didn't feel like getting airborne again after bouncing off the ground..

Looking at the state of the flight deck I seriously doubt they had any functioning controls left to work with!!

Good point - I hadn't even considered that.  They must have already established negative buoyancy before their "arrival".  That thing just looks like a seriously bad idea to me.

John

27 minutes ago, allardjd said:

Good point - I hadn't even considered that.  They must have already established negative buoyancy before their "arrival".  That thing just looks like a seriously bad idea to me.

John

I read somewhere, a Swedish tabloid most likely, that what set this incident off was that it came into contact with either a telephone line or pole (can't remember right now)..

So as you say, that thing in any sort of wind must be a huge no go!

They did it again.  It looks worse this time.  As I noted above, a fundamentally bad idea.  You cannot make chicken salad from chicken manure.

British Hybrid Airship Suffers Second Serious Accident

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/aerospace/2017-11-20/british-hybrid-airship-suffers-second-serious-accident

EDIT: 

"The fuel and helium within the Airlander was made safe..."  I sure am happy to hear all that helium didn't cause a disaster.  Oh, the humanity!

Where do they get these writers?

JDA

Not good news at all but with all new tech comes kinks to work out. That said I never understood why anyone thought this was a good idea anyway.

• Like 1

Can you imagine the horror - thousands of innocent victims all talking like Donald Duck?

John

• Like 2