Sign in to follow this  
jankees

Milviz P-38L

There were some of my paints included in the package, but I uploaded a few more:

Mon Amy:

ss17964.jpg

Peggy Ann:

ss17863.jpg

Aboob:

ss17802.jpg

Italian Air Force:

ss16987.jpg

Sweet Sue/Nellie Ann:

jk10.jpg

• Like 1

Love Peggy Ann I may have to try out the P-38 again, I already have the JF version.

Awesome repaints, the Italian one is especially nice. I too have the JF one, although it doesn't seem as detailed as the MilViz release.

ss20022.jpg

In order to meet an urgent RAAF requirement for photographic reconnaissance, three P-38Es were transferred from the USAAF for service with No 1 PRU. The first Lightning, A55-1, depicted here, was received on August 31 1942, and operated successfully until it was written-off in a landing accident on August 2 1944 at Coomallie Strip. The second aircraft, A55-2 had a less spectacular career and operated only between 4 Sep 42 and 18 Dec 42, and was phased out of service on the latter date. The third Lightning, A55-3 was received from the USAAF at Eagle Farm on February 27 1943 and operated throughout the year until it was written-off in a wheels-up landing on December 10 1943.
The aircraft of this repaint, A55-1, was originally F-4-1-LO serial 41-2158. I have found pictures of it in camouflage paint as well as in bare metal, and it is the latter that I have depicted. It shows 59 mission markings on a picture taken at Coomalie Creek, so I assume this bare metal scheme was late in its career with the RAAF.
Although the original was a P-38E/F-4 and the Milviz model is a P-38L, I thought people would still like this repaint.

paint is here: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/5452-milviz-p-38l-raaf-a55-1/

Thanks for sharing JanKees, the history behind these aircraft really make the new livery come alive.  :thum:

1st%20Lt%20George%20W%20Baird%20Jr%2049t

ss23837.jpg

ss23895.jpg

P-38J-15-LO 42-104111 was the assigned aircraft of Lt George Baird of the 49th FS, 14th FG, 15th AF, based in Italy during 1944. The aircraft was named Elaine Marie after his wife, while Butch was his nickname for his son, George. This particular aircraft was destroyed during a landing inbcident at Triolo on the 29th september 1944, while Lt Baird was hit by flak and crashed in Hungary on the 26th of November 1944, flying another P-38. He is buried at the Ardennes war cemetery in Belgium.

link to paint: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/5608-milviz-p-38l-elaine-marie/

ss23888.jpg

jk105.jpg

jk93.jpg

jk100.jpg

P-38J-20-LO 44-23511 "ARKANSAS TRAVELER" from the 392nd Fighter Squadron, 367th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force, flown by James Owen Fincher, from Camden, Arkansas
James Fincher was born December 24, 1920 in Camden, Arkansas. During World War II he flew 62 missions as the pilot of the P-38 Lighting named "ARKANSAS TRAVELER". James Fincher passed away aged 92, on October 28, 2013 at the Ouachita County Medical Center, Camden, Arkansas.

link to paint: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/6131-milviz-p-38l-arkansas-traveler/

• Like 1

here's one more reason to get acquainted:

jk154.jpg

jk146.jpg

P-38J-25-LO 44-23627 'Kozy Koza', pilot 1st Lt Sam Plotecia of the 392nd FS, 367th FG, 9th AF. The artwork was based on a picture of Sam's girlfriend, taken on the beach. The artist didn't forget to depict the ball and the steam boat floating in the background. After the war Sam Plotecia married the girl from the picture and they lived together till his death in 2004. Nowadays Anastasia Plotecia (her maiden name was Koza) lives in Maryland.

• Like 2

I've upgraded a few of my paints that came with the original package for FSX, but that were not included with P3D:

jk3022.jpg

jk3028.jpg

jk3013.jpg

jk2995.jpg

• Like 1