Sign in to follow this  
brett

A2A's C182 Skylane, First Flight

There is nothing I like more than taking a new A2A aircraft out for it's first spin, luckily the company usually puts out the manual a couple of days earlier than the initial product release so I had a chance to get comfortable with it's finer points. If you are a fan of Cessna aircraft and A2A's Accu-simed package then you are in for a treat, a fast high-winged plane with all the bells and whistles, not to mention a few new ones like it's hand towbar addition.

Pardon my screenshots, my Nividia settings went screwy on me. :(

I picked up my new Cessna at A2A's home airport in Plainville, Connecticut from Robertson Airpark with an early dusk start.

C182_01.jpg

Love at first site!!! I quickly make up a flightplan to a small airport, Beltsville Muni in Pennsylvania, I like to fly into near where I live. 

Capture-1.jpg

Before I go any further, let me comment on how sweet this aircraft sounds through all phases of flight, A2A did a really nice job with tons on sound files and placing my Bose headphones upon my head I was transported into the cockpit I could almost feel the leather seats. :cool:  

After a quicker than should be walk-around, I was soon on the taxiway doing my mag checks.

C182_02.jpg

This thing leaps off the runway with a throaty growl and climbs so fast you need to reign it in.

C182_03.jpg

Around 10minutes to the New York state boarder and another ten or so and I was making my first turn at the Kingston VOR.

C182_04.jpg

Crossing the Hudson River which flows down past Manhattan Island and into the Atlantic. West Point Military Academy is right around the turn past those cliffs into the haze.

C182_05.jpg

I will be soon be leaving New York at my next turn at the Huguenot VOR

C182_06.jpg

Still in the turn I can see the town of Port Jervis, N.Y. it is a well known place as it sits on the border of New York to it's north, New Jersey to the south and Pennsylvania to the southwest.

C182_07.jpg

Although I am headed to PA, I will need to fly into NJ for a bit to take a heading off the Stillwater VOR. I do this so I can fly over the Delaware Water Gap. This is a beautiful place were the Delaware River flows from one side of a mountain range to the other through a deep gap. The river basically separates Pennsylvania from New Jersey here. You can just make it out, a shame the day was so hazy.

C182_08.jpg

The turn to the west from the STL VOR was uneventful and it wasn't long before I could just make out Beltsville lake and the airport on a bluff to it's south side. And that is only because I have done this before, as it is still about 10nm away.

C182_09.jpg

On left downwind for runway 08  

C182_10.jpg

On final

C182_11.jpg

One heavy landing later I roll out

C182_12.jpg

and park it up in my modest(dinky) local muni.

C182_13.jpg

The A2A C182 is a handful being a touch nose heavy because of the big six-cylinder Lycoming engine and it's heavy elevator at low speeds but in the cruise it is a joy to behold.   :thum:

Just my opinion, thanks for watching and hope you enjoyed the flight. :)

• Like 3

Nice trip Brett and thanks for the geography lesson. There's nothing like jumping into a new bird and she looks sweet, look after her. :thum:

Thanks Geoff, I certainly will have to look after her, it's a must on these products. :D

Sorry about the geography :blahblah: , I get carried away. :th_blush:

Good to see you spoiling yourself..  :thum:

:)  Hmm....it really does feel good, I can get used to this. :D

OK, where's my credit card!

Thanks for the report Brett, it's nice to see your local scenery featured.

I watched the official A2A video yesterday and will check out that manual at lunchtime!

Cheers  :thum:

Thanks Joe. :) Frooglesim has a couple of videos out already if you want a better look at the sim aircraft, there were a few changes to the cockpit look from when the A2A first look vid was made. 

Grats on the new plane. She looks like a beauty.

I'm gonna stick with my A2A Cherokee for a while...not actually a high wing fan myself (despite owning a hangar full of them :D ).

If they come out with a RG version of something...maybe...

If they come out with a RG version of something...maybe...

Yes, if that 182 had an RG version I'd buy it in a minute.  The Carenado 182 RG is a great AirHauler ride - no more schlepping along at 115 knots.

Nice work, Brett.

John

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

I have the Cherokee too, great handling aircraft and in my opinion it has the prettiest VC around in a GA plane. 

I prefer a high wing because I do a lot of sightseeing and the view is better but handling wise the Piper wins and makes for a steady platform.  

• Like 1

Excellent post Brett, an interesting adventure in a lovely aircraft.

Looking forward to some serious flying time in this aircraft myself.

Thanks you Graeme, :hat: I trust you will enjoy it as much as I have, it is my favorite cross-country flyer. :)