Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums, like most online communities you must register to post in our forums or to take advantage of our download centre, but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Mutley's Hangar Forums by signing in or creating an account, you can even sign in using your Twitter, Facebook or OpenID account!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customise your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Build Your Own Hangar

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pixelninja

pixelninja

Ground Staff

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationCanada
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration
  • Op System:Windows 7(64)
  • CPU:3930k
  • GPU:Asus 7970 TOP II

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I recall seeing screenshots where someone created their own hangar they could park their plane in. They even put signage on it and objects inside. Does anyone know what software was used to accomplish this?

#2 pixelninja

pixelninja

Ground Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

So after a day of searching I decide to post. As soon as I do so I find Eaglesoft hangar... I'm going to give it a look but it looks like there is just a single model you can use. I'm interested in varying sizes and types of hangars if that is possible.

#3 hurricanemk1c

hurricanemk1c

Senior Captain

• Members
  • 7,207 posts
  • 273 thanks
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other
  • Op System:Windows 8

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi Jason and welcome to the forums,

I believe the screenshots you have seen are Rob's, and he used Flight1's Instant Object Studio to create them - see the Latest Reviews section on the right of the forum index

Kieran
Cheers

Posted Image Chuck, is that you? www.chickenwingscomics.com

#4 rob16584

rob16584

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 4,506 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • LocationYorkshire
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX, FSX Acceleration
  • CPU:Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4ghz
  • GPU:NVidia GTX570
  • Ram:8GB DDR3 1600mhz
  • Mother Board:Asus P8Z68-V Pro Z68
  • Hard Disks:Vertex 60gb SSD
    Hitachi 1.5TB SATA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

That's correct.
The hangar was created in IOS and then placed at various airports using ADE
Managing Reviews Editor

Posted Image

#5 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,820 posts
  • 467 thanks
  • LocationEGHI
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi Jay,

You may have seen my hanger dotted around the forum, the only picture I can find at the moment is this one.

Posted Image

You are right, it is the Eaglesoft version and has an animated door. Sadly it is not resizeable.

The Instant Object Studio looks to be the best bet :thum:

Thanks for being there!

Joe 

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 | PSU: Corsair HX1050W | CPU: i7 4770K o/c to 4.2) | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: GTX 690 4096MB GDDR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz | MoBo:Asus Sabertooth Z87

#6 pixelninja

pixelninja

Ground Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. Will start my foray into modelling and scenery creation later this week.

#7 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks
  • LocationOn a yacht in the N Pacific (no fixed address)
  • CPU:Intel Core i5-480M
  • GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GT330M
  • Mother Board:Acer Travelmate 8572G-6647 (Laptop)

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I'm coming in to this a bit after the fact.

JA supplied the URL for the download. All went well on that end. I sure could use a bit of help from someone who has done this before.

I keep my FSX files (don't have FS9 or FS 2004) in their own directory C:\FSX. The download for the hangar places the hangar files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\

I read the instructions and moved the appropriate folders and files to their FSX equivalent locations: 

- C:\FSX\Addon Scenery\Eaglesoft Hangar (contains FOLDERS: placement tools, scenery, texture - and one FILE: SCENERY.dat

- C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes ( contains FOLDER: Crosshair Box English - which contains Folders: model, panel, sound - and four FILES: Aircraft.cfg, Crosshair Box English.air, crosshair box english.jpg, readme.txt

- There is already a file called GaugeSound.dll under C:\FSX so I did not replace it with the one that came with the Hangar package.

That's pretty much as far as I got. When I follow the install instructions and load FSX then go to "Change Aircraft", there is no THUMBNAIL showing the Crosshair Box in the group of thumbnails that show clickable pictures of the various available aircraft (Yes, I do have "Show All Variations" checked)

Some things I noticed:

1. FSX does not have a Folder called "Aircraft". The equivalent is "Airplanes"

2. FSX "Airplanes" sub folders all contain a "thumbnail.jpg" file that is the icon that shows in the aircraft loading page in the main FSX menu.

(I put one there, but it didn't help)

I did run the 'Scenery' update from the main FSX menu.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

March

PS - This is NOT an important item in my life. AH works well without having my own hangar.

PPS - I did download the demo version of Instant Object Studio. Quite a piece of software, but likely more than I need for this job.

Cheers,

March

"When once you have tasted flight,

you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,

for there you have been,

and there you will always long to return."

Unknown

#8 brett

brett

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 6,059 posts
  • 478 thanks
  • LocationPA, USA
  • Op System:Windows 7
  • CPU:i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz-3.3Ghz
  • GPU:NVIDA GeForce GT 640M
  • Ram:6 GB

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Not sure about all of this but did you make the thumbnail.jpg file small enough when you added it? 256X135 and around less than 10kb is usually good. If it's too big it will sometimes not show. That's all I got.

Take Care,
Brett

missionhangerlogo01.jpg
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. ~Confucius

#9 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,785 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
  • GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
  • Ram:8 GB

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Brett is right about thumbnail size. Paint.Net does this admirably if your image is too large - Top Line Menu -> Image -> Resize.

The file has to be named "thumbnail.jpg" and must be in one of the texture folders for the "aircraft". If there are several textures (liveries) there should be an image of each in the corresponding texture folder.

John
Posted Image

Available FREE at the MH File Library -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over 2,950 detailed airport diagrams for FS - Now supported in Plan-G v3.1

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/category/3-airport-diagrams/

Over 2,800 new real-world Waypoints in one download for FSX
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2737-jda-added-fsx-waypoints/

#10 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thanks to both of you for the info.

I very carefully made the thumbnail the same size as the other aircraft.

One thing of note is that the texture file in FSX is in the corresponding folder. Example: C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172\Texture, Texture.1, Texture.2, etc and the thumbnail for the aircraft repaint is in one of these folders.

The files that came with the hangar package contain a "Texture" file, but it is in the "Addon Scenery" group. There is no thumbnail in this texture file ( I out one there, just in case - no joy). So I copied the "Texture" sub folder into the "Crosshair Box English" folder under "Airplanes" - again, no joy.

The major difference I could see is that FSX does not contain a folder called "Aircraft" - it's equivalent is (presumably) "Airplanes". So not to be stingy, I placed a folder in C:\FSX\SimObjects\ called Aircraft and put copies of the required files in there - no joy.

Thanks again for all the brain-cell burning from the opposite side of the planet. I'm going to sit back, copy the exact file structure from the Hangar package and reprint it here. Give me a few minutes and I'll edit this post,

Cheers,

March

OK - back again.

Here's the first screenshot

i-9mhDpJm-S.jpg

Second screenshot - Called CHB 1

i-QXM3C6N-M.jpg

This is the third screenshot - Called CHB 2, contents of the indicated folder, above

i-7tVkSz8-S.jpg

I can do screenshots of the folder that went into C:\FSX\Addon Scenery if required.

Does this help?

March

Cheers,

March

for there you have been,

Unknown

#11 brett

brett

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 6,059 posts
  • 478 thanks
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'm not sure what your aircraft.cfg file shows in the [flightsim.xx] area but maybe you could create a texture folder(texture.chb) for the thumbnail to reside, then place the texture folder in the Crosshair Box English folder. You would then need to add the name of the texture folder in the texture= line on the flightsim section of the aircraft.cfg so it will recognize it or for each one you make.

Hard to say without playing with this myself.

Take Care,
Brett

missionhangerlogo01.jpg

#12 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Brett, 

I'll give it a try and report back.

I was hoping that this thread would elicit a response from one of the people who had done this exercise. You know; one of those "Oh, THAT problem. Sure. This is how you workaround it. Etc, etc"

Thanks for all the input to try to solve a dilemma that is just not very important.

Cheers,

March

PS: FS Repaint can find the file. Thinks it's an aircraft. Unfortunately, I don't want to edit it, just "fly" it (and a load and save to FS Repaint doesn't automatically produce the missing link).

Cheers,

March

for there you have been,

Unknown

#13 brett

brett

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 6,059 posts
  • 478 thanks
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Just to update this thread Match:

I downloaded the hanger folder and installed the "airplane". To get it to show up in my hanger page I created a folder named "texture" in the aircraft folder and placed the Crosshair Box English.jpg into it. I then resized it to 250x187 and renamed it to thumbnail.jpg. I did not have to make any changes to the aircraft.cfg in this case because there is only one texture folder involved*. It now shows up on my hanger page under the name "Eaglesoft DG Scenery Placement Crosshair Box". The reason is shows up with this name, if you are interested, is because of the following inputs in the [fltsim.0] section:

ui_manufacturer=Eaglesoft DG
ui_type=Scenery Placement
ui_variation=Crosshair Box

The only other things that might need to be changed is the panel and sound folder .cfg files. In this case they alias an aircraft named "schweizr". I tried to see if this is a default aircraft in the FS9 sim but could not find the information. Maybe someone here could enlighten us. You can of course alais a like aircraft of your choosing by changing the name to any other aircraft folder name. (Make backups first :) )

*If you had more than one texture folder and or models you would alias the folders and their contents by adding the texture folder name in the texture= section of the flight sim area for that particular aircraft.  

Take Care,
Brett

missionhangerlogo01.jpg

#14 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

Thanks Brett,

I managed to get it to load last night - pretty much as you described, above.

So I went through the entire setup procedure and it did as advertised, eventually installing a file called esdg_hangar_CYCD.bgl (CYCD being the FSX airport where I put the thing).

All chuffed, I then went to the FSX Scenery Menu file in the Main FSX Menu and tried to get FSX to recognise the file as a scenery file. FSX finds the folder alright = C:\FSX\Addon Scenery\Eaglesoft Hangar\scenery ..................Unfortunately, that's the end of the trail. The message box comes up empty, ie: no recognisable scenery file. 

When I load FSX, there's nothing there (by way of a hangar, anyway).

The "schweizr" file is necessary as it is part of the setup process. What it does is display a "GPS" on a blank Sweitzer 2D dash which gives you the co-ordinate info needed to do the install. Nothing like the instructions show, but easily recognisable for what it is. Why it needs a sound folder is beyond me.

After spending untold hours when I could have been making Airport Diagrams for MH, I've pretty much given up and my airplane is sitting in the rain in Nanaimo (CYCD).

Anyway, thanks again. We've probably thrown enough time at this little project by now. I'm willing to give it up if you are. Otherwise I've got to open a whole new can of worms in the Addon Scenery area.

Cheers,

March

Cheers,

March

for there you have been,

Unknown

#15 brett

brett

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 6,059 posts
  • 478 thanks
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I haven't tried to actually set a new hanger somewhere yet. I hate to give up on anything so will keep going anyway because I planed on making this hanger for myself and redoing the texture files to show my AH company name on it. I would just place the new BGL and redone texture files into a new folder.

If you added the new hanger BGL to the original scenery sub folder and did everything correctly it should work I would think. FSX should have just reloaded the library on it's own since you made a change to the folder(adding the new BGL) if you had installed and linked the new scenery folder first. So one question I do have is, did you install and activate the original scenery file in the FSX Scenery Library before creating this new BGL? 

Take Care,
Brett

missionhangerlogo01.jpg

#16 ddavid

ddavid

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 4,259 posts
  • 135 thanks
  • LocationMid Wales UK
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX, FSX Acceleration
  • CPU:Intel Quad 9400 2.67 GHz
  • GPU:nVidea 8800 GT 512 Mb
  • Ram:4 Gb DDR2
  • Mother Board:Asus P5Q

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

March - were you using this download?

http://flyawaysimula...ar-scenery-kit/

The readme contained in it gives a fairly good introduction on how to locate and install the Eaglesoft hangar for FS2004. Any use?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

ATWCV_005-Dai_zpsa03bc121.pngND-Beta-EC130_zps50754b70.png

When a problem comes along - You must Whip It................................... Preferably with a whisk!

#17 brett

brett

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 6,059 posts
  • 478 thanks
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I know you might be done with this March but I post this for others that may read the thread. I believe I might have been on the right track in my last post because there was no reason to have to activate the new scenery BGL.

Almost hate to say this March but it worked for me although the angle of the hanger(heading) seemed a bit off. I installed the Eaglesoft Hanger folder in my addon scenery folder and activated it in FSX using the scenery library.

*If you click on Add Area and get the popup box, you only need to browse to the main folder(Eaglesoft Hanger) and then press ok, do the click on the blank part of the screen deal for us Win7 users. If you go past the main folder to the sub folders or the BGL itself you might get that message that you received.* 

I then followed the instructions to get the Lat, Lon and heading in FSX and closed out of it after saving my flight.

Did the creation thing as instructed and the newly created and renamed BGL file appeared. I moved it to my the Eaglesoft Hanger folder that is in my addon scenery folder.

I then restarted FSX, it automatically rebuilt the scenery database. I then loaded my saved flight and there it was.

Take Care,
Brett

missionhangerlogo01.jpg

#18 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the perseverance. I'll give it another go.

@ Dai, yes, I believe that's the file. I can double check as JA sent me the URL. MH forum thread 8751.

@ Brett - followed the instructions to the letter (sometimes not a good thing because the screenshots that they supply and the reality are two entirely different things - see the "GPS"). It's not like there isn't already stuff in the Addon Scenery file. There's three airports in there, all with .bgl files and they load and run with no drama.

I'm not 100% sure of the sequence of events, but I'll guess that the Eaglesoft stuff was in Addon Scenery for two or three days before I got around to; first, getting the placement aircraft file to show up in FSX. That took some doing with help from your comments. Second, going through the routine as described in the installation instructions. I'm going to assume that I did this correctly as the .bgl file DID turn up in Addon Scenery\Eaglesoft Hangar\scenery.

It was the next step that probably didn't work - that of getting FSX to recognize the scenery.

Your reminder about the click here instead of there Win7 trick did it. I had completely forgotten that bug. 

I now have a hangar at CYCD. That's the good news. The bad news is that it is facing into the woods. Obviously I didn't get the alignment tool aligned the right way.

Here's what i propose:

I'm going to re-do this whole thing from start to finish and take a bunch of screenshots during the process. I'll post them here (when I get positive results). That should satisfy our obligations to the future simmers whow want to use this hangar in FSX.

Back to work!

Thanks again, all of you.

Cheers,

March

Cheers,

March

for there you have been,

Unknown

#19 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,785 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
  • GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
  • Ram:8 GB

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

I think you place it by slewing, so 1 and 3 on the NumPad rotate it. I've heard before about it facing an unexpected direction and am wondering if it uses magnetic heading instead of true, or vice versa. Could be a bug where you see it pointed true and it displays magnetic or the other way round. The two cases I know of (including this one) are at high latitudes where magnetic variation can be pretty high. Just a shot in the dark.

John
Posted Image

Available FREE at the MH File Library -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over 2,950 detailed airport diagrams for FS - Now supported in Plan-G v3.1

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/category/3-airport-diagrams/

Over 2,800 new real-world Waypoints in one download for FSX
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2737-jda-added-fsx-waypoints/

#20 Quickmarch

Quickmarch

Captain

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

You do.

But 180 degrees out? Now that's serious Variation  :wacko2:

I finally got the thing where I want it and pointed in the right direction. I do think you're right John. It almost looks like a variation calculation might be needed as well as a 180 degree adjustment. 

Originally, I set the aircraft up so that the compass was on 161 degrees - at Nanaimo this roughly translates to parallel to RWY 16. This is the direction that I input to the widget and it resulted in a hangar facing in the opposite direction. However, it was facing more to the west than a simple 180 degree rotation would account for. I didn't check it and I've trashed the file. CYCD has a westerly mag variation of 19 degrees. On the subsequent install I simply added 180 to the 161 = 341and filled that in. The hangar door is facing approx 140 degrees (east of the expected 161). Once I saw it in place, I kind of liked I and left it that way. 

I'll post the entire procedure later. For now let's assume that i will have to do a bit of experimenting to see if Variation is having its way with the install.

Here's the resultant:

i-9hFtLRS-M.jpg

Cheers,

March

Cheers,

March

for there you have been,

Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic