Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums, like most online communities you must register to post in our forums or to take advantage of our download centre, but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Mutley's Hangar Forums by signing in or creating an account, you can even sign in using your Twitter, Facebook or OpenID account!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customise your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dedicated Prepar3D Only Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cub 1

Cub 1

Ground Staff

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationShropshire
  • Sim Version:Prepar3D
  • Op System:Windows 7(64)
  • CPU:i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
  • GPU:Nvidia GTX 580
  • Ram:6Gb
  • Mother Board:Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
  • Hard Disks:OCZ Vertex 2 225Gb
    Western Digital WD2002FAEX 2Tb
    Samsung HD501LJ 500Gb
    External Iomega USB 500Gb

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi Mutley,

I have just re-formatted Windows 7 (again) and although i own FSX as well, I thought it was time to install Prepar3D on its own.

Would it be possible to start a thread here to discuss which addons for FSX will work flawlessly in P3D without having FSX actually installed using only a dummy folder system with a FSX.exe inside, then just copying folders and files across.

I tried to uninstall FSX from Windows 7 using a reg cleaner and killed the whole OS, even though i've done it many times before. Its ridiculous the amount of FSX files that are left behind after an uninstall.
I will be installing Orbx PNW demo for the time being, and hope to get various Carenado aircraft ported across (still click spot problems in VC's) Ezdok, Radar Contact and others.

Cheers

Cub 1.

#2 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,638 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
  • GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
  • Ram:8 GB

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Would it be possible to start a thread here to discuss which addons for FSX will work flawlessly in P3D without having FSX actually installed using only a dummy folder system with a FSX.exe inside, then just copying folders and files across.

That seems like going a bit heavy on the compartmentalization, doesn't it? We already have these threads.

(FSX) Programs that don't fully work in Prepar3

http://forum.mutleys...rk-in-prepar3d/

(FSX) Programs that do work in Prepar3D

http://forum.mutleys...rk-in-prepar3d/

On the other hand, you really can start a thread on anything you'd like to discuss.

John
Posted Image

Available FREE at the MH File Library -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over 2,950 detailed airport diagrams for FS - Now supported in Plan-G v3.1

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/category/3-airport-diagrams/

Over 2,800 new real-world Waypoints in one download for FSX
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2737-jda-added-fsx-waypoints/

#3 Cub 1

Cub 1

Ground Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationShropshire
    Samsung HD501LJ 500Gb

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

yes, i know, but......

(FSX) Programs that don't fully work in Prepar3 (with or without FSX side by side ?)

(FSX) Programs that do work in Prepar3D (with or without FSX side by side ?)

or just put more info in the posts to confirm this.

Cub 1.

#4 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,638 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

I didn't notice in your first post that you're new to MH - Welcome. I hope you find this site friendly and helpful. It's a great place with an excellent group of people.

I think at this stage most of those here who have installed P3D already have FSX and have probably applied the First Law of Wingwalking to that.

...or just put more info in the posts to confirm this.

Great idea. I recommend you make a post in each of those threads asking for that information.

Again, welcome aboard.

John

Posted Image

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2737-jda-added-fsx-waypoints/

#5 ScruffyDuck

ScruffyDuck

Pilot

• Developers
  • 62 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationTrefeglwys, Mid Wales
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX, FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

I would be surprised if any addon or other tool would need to have FSX installed in order to work with P3D. After all P3D is FSX. It is a full installation and does not require FSX to be installed to work/ what is more likely to be the case over time are things that work in P3D but will not work in FSX. Since FSX is effectively frozen and P3D is being developed then it is a new branch and will likely provide things that will fail in terms of backward compatability.

#6 Cub 1

Cub 1

Ground Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationShropshire
    Samsung HD501LJ 500Gb

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the information.

This site does seem more friendly and informative, and i'll keep you posted about any FSX trauma as i think i may just have to put it back on my drive in order to get my addons working.

Cub 1 :thum:

#7 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,638 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I doubt I'll uninstall FSX when I buy P3D. I just don't see any reason to do that. I still have FS9 installed as well and will hang on to that too, if only as a reference source.

In 1990 I became manager of a group that inlcuded our local computer network support people. During my five years in that job we installed and grew a pretty sizeable local area network (1,000+ networked computers). Throughout that time the chipheads tried to get me to set limits on the disk space usage of employees, citing horror stories of how the users would fill up the servers and drive the system into the ground. Some of the users did indeed save all manner of crap and some of them ended up with large server footprints. Others were compulsive file deleters and kept a clean and tidy personal I: drive. The latter caused us far more trouble than the former because they would inevitably get carried away and delete something today they would want back tomorrow, or something that would kill an app by not being there - that kind of thing happened all the time.

I'm taking a long time getting to the point. It never came about that the users "drove us off the system". The price per unit of hard disk storage, even for the RAID drives we used, kept coming down and the problem just never happened. Drive space remained too cheap to worry about and it never became necessary to set any limits. So it is today. Big drives are cheap and blazing fast. From my perspective, just as it was in my professional life in the early 1990s, drive space is too cheap to get all compulsive about keeping a squeaky clean installation. I can't see any reason to uninstall FSX if there's even a remote chance that a P3D add-on might need it to be there. Taking the icon off the desktop is about as far as I'd go.

To each his own, of course.

John
Posted Image

#8 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,767 posts
  • 465 thanks
  • LocationEGHI
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi Pete, (we like first names here, I'm Joe :) )

:welcomeani: to our forums I hope you enjoy your time here.

By inference the two topic posts are for existing FSX programs that can fully or not fully port across or be referenced from P3D.

There are already releases from Aerosoft and soon Orbx that are "made for" P3D, that may have only involved a change to the installer on their part so we know they will work and they should have support for P3D users whereas using an FSX program for P3D you wouldn't expect them to provide support.

What is unsure however are the thousands of FSX titles available to buy, or have been bought for FSX that will work in P3D. That would be the purpose of those topics.

One tool I have found invaluable is the TweakFS FSX Registry Utility that prior to your installation you can change the registry path from FSX to that of P3D, this is essential for some of the newer Carenado products that don't give you the opportunity to point the installer to a different folder.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks for being there!

Joe 

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 | PSU: Corsair HX1050W | CPU: i7 4770K o/c to 4.2) | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: GTX 690 4096MB GDDR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz | MoBo:Asus Sabertooth Z87

#9 ScruffyDuck

ScruffyDuck

Pilot

• Developers
  • 62 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationTrefeglwys, Mid Wales
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX, FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Jon - meant that some things won't install or port properly yet to P3D, which is why i for example still using FSX for them - think PMDG, some F1, VRS, RealAir, UT. Not that FSX still has to be there. If it ports or installs OK fine, but some things won't work or at least properly in P3D already, let alone versions moving forward. There's ongoing stuff about FMCs and gauges. Not that they won't work in P3D unless FSX also installed, they won't work in P3D period, so if you want to use them you have to use in FSX. Clear as mud again?

Mike

Fair point :)

#10 kolaf

kolaf

Ground Staff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

I even got the VRS Superbug to work!

cheers, again

May I ask how?