Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums, like most online communities you must register to post in our forums or to take advantage of our download centre, but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Mutley's Hangar Forums by signing in or creating an account, you can even sign in using your Twitter, Facebook or OpenID account!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customise your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Terrain Mesh question.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stu7708

stu7708

Mutley Crew

• Moderators
  • 2,924 posts
  • 92 thanks
  • LocationKnivsta, Sweden (Close to ESSA)
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration
  • Op System:Windows 7(64)
  • CPU:Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8 Ghz
  • GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 560 TI OC 1GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI
  • Ram:16 Gb DDR III 1600
  • Mother Board:Gigabyte P55A-UD3
  • Hard Disks:500 Gb + 1 Tb Samsung Spinpoint, 7200 Rpm, SATA

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi all.

I downloaded some terrain meshes today from Simviation.com, and now I have a question.

The three packages I got down are partially overlapping and in at least two different resolutions.

The Meshes are:

1. A 38M Mesh of the Alps by Raimondo Taburet
2. A 76M (I Think) Mesh of Scandinavia by Raimondo Taburet - J. De Ferranti
3. The SRTM 3, version 2 Europe package by the same two guys, unsure of the resolution on this one. The link says 38M but the description says 75M.

Looking at the coverage maps of the three packs No. 3 covers all of mainland Europe, The UK, Irland, North Africa and the southern parts of scandinavia, so No.1 overlaps No.3 completely. No. 2 & No.3 overlaps in the southern parts of scandinavia.

I'm also considering a 38M of france since I do most of my airhauler flights there.

My question is, if I dump all of these in the Add-on Sceneryscenery folder, what will FSX make of it? Will it become a blur, or will the Mesh with best resolution default to the top?

Any hints are most welcome.

Cheers
/Micke (or Mike for those of you that can't come to terms with the swedish language)

atwc5-pilot-atwc001.png

#2 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,118 posts
  • 497 thanks
  • LocationNear Southampton
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hi Micke
That's a tricky question as they over-lap to some extent. FSX should take the highest resolution mesh and display that even if it is not the highest level in the scenery library.
You really cannot do any harm by loading them all and switching them on and off in turn to see what the effect is,

Cheers

Thanks for being there!

joe_crew.png~original

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 -- PSU: Corsair HX1050W -- CPU: i7 4770K -- CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 -- GPU: GTX 690 4096MB -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz -- MoBo:Asus Sabertooth Z87

#3 stu7708

stu7708

Mutley Crew

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 2,924 posts
  • 92 thanks

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hey

Problem is that if I just dump them all in the default Add-on scenery I can't disable just one of them.

I just tried a flight out of Interlaken with only the 38M of the Alps in the scenery, and then tried it with the Europe package installed too, and it looks like the lower resolution Mesh is what i'm seeing. Even if the differences are small I didn't get the same "wow"-factor after I installed the Europe pack.

Thinking this through one more time it's logical really. Since they are in the same folder both should most likely be showing, and in hilly terrain the lower resolution mesh will bulge out from the steeper slopes of the high resolution mesh..

I guess I'll just have to do two Terrain Mesh folders, and dump the 38M ones in the folder with the highest prioity in the scenery library...

Thanks for your input though..

atwc5-pilot-atwc001.png

#4 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,118 posts
  • 497 thanks

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Micke
Sorry, I didn't read your original post correctly :biggrin:

I guess these are .bgl files? In which case create a new folder and a sub-folder called scenery and place the .bgl folder in there then activate them separately. But then i guess you have already figured that out!

Cheers

Thanks for being there!

joe_crew.png~original

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 -- PSU: Corsair HX1050W -- CPU: i7 4770K -- CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 -- GPU: GTX 690 4096MB -- RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz -- MoBo:Asus Sabertooth Z87

#5 stu7708

stu7708

Mutley Crew

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 2,924 posts
  • 92 thanks

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I got that far. Then I sat here swearing for 10 minutes because I couldn't add the folders as new areas in the library... :help:

Took another look, and the reason was obvious.. I copied the .bgl files to the wrong folder :biggrin:

But by the looks of it, now that I can easily compare, it worked like it should even when I dumped them all in the defaul Add-on scenery folder... Must be getting old, and in need of glasses....

For your viewing pleasure, heres a comparison..
Default FSX Mesh
Posted Image

75M Mesh
Posted Image

And the 38M Mesh
Posted Image

By the looks of it, the default resolution is also 75M in this area.

BTW, I think I saw a big blue parachute down there somewhere... could that be yours Mut?? :whis:

atwc5-pilot-atwc001.png

#6 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,118 posts
  • 497 thanks

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

BTW, I think I saw a big blue parachute down there somewhere... could that be yours Mut?? :biggrin:

Yep, that'll be me!

Cheers

Thanks for being there!

joe_crew.png~original

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users