Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar Forums, like most online communities you must register to post in our forums or to take advantage of our download centre, but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Mutley's Hangar Forums by signing in or creating an account, you can even sign in using your Twitter, Facebook or OpenID account!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customise your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

4-Engined PBY Catalina

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 allardjd

allardjd

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 9,809 posts
  • 224 thanks
  • LocationFlorida - USA
  • Sim Version:FS2004, FSX
  • Op System:Windows 7(64)
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz
  • GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
  • Ram:8 GB

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

I recently found these photos while cleaning out some old junk, providing evidence that I've always been an airport bum.

These are from 1985 and were taken while we were on vacation in Florida. I remember seeing a sign for a small airport near the Kennedy Space Center
and taking a side road to have a look. This one caught my eye. At the time I took the two extra engines to be turbo-props. Looking again now I'm
not so sure. The exhaust plumbing looks odd and appears to have multiple outlets, suggesting a piston engine of some kind, but certainly
different from the two standard radial engines. From the nacelles and the propeller size, they may have just been conventional GA-type Lycoming or
Continental engines.

I looked up the registration number in the FAA database before making this post and the number is "unassigned". Whatever this was, it's not N5907
any more, if it still exists.

My research indicates there was a 4-engine XPB2Y-1 built in the late thirties. Though it was based on the PBY, it looks nothing like this, which appears
to be a much more recent innovation.

Anyone have any clues about this? I'm of the opinion that it may very well have been a one-of-a-kind, but don't know for sure.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Available FREE at the MH File Library -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Over 2,950 detailed airport diagrams for FS - Now supported in Plan-G v3.1

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/category/3-airport-diagrams/

Over 2,800 new real-world Waypoints in one download for FSX
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2737-jda-added-fsx-waypoints/

#2 mutley

mutley

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,824 posts
  • 467 thanks
  • LocationEGHI
  • Sim Version:FSX Acceleration, Prepar3D, Other
  • Op System:Windows 7(64)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:57 PM

What a beauty :wub

I love the shape of the front end from the cockpit forward.

Thanks for posting John

Thanks for being there!

Joe 

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 | PSU: Corsair HX1050W | CPU: i7 4770K o/c to 4.2) | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: GTX 690 4096MB GDDR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866MHz | MoBo:Asus Sabertooth Z87

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users